Chapter 27: Choose Danny

This was it. I had made my choice and it was time to deliver the news. Taking a deep, calming breath, I turned to Alex.

"I'm sorry but I want to be with Danny." I looked at Danny. "Could you give us a moment?"

"I'll be waiting outside." Danny glanced at Alex. "I'm sorry, man."

Alex stared at the floor silent as Danny walked away.

"Why not me?" Alex's voice was barely audible. "I would've shown the world to you."

"Do you recall our conversation about clicking and sparks?" I asked and Alex nodded slowly. "We click but the romantic sparks are missing for me. I like you as a friend."

It was hard to keep my voice steady as every word I said clearly hurt Alex.

"For me, there's clicking, sparks, and fireworks." Alex's voice cracked. "Being simply friends with you is too painful when I want more."

I sniffed. "I understand and I'm sorry."

"Stop being sorry." Alex looked into my eyes as if it was one final plead. "Just be sure this is what you want."

"This is what I want," I said without hesitation.

Alex paced around the room and stopped in front of a photo of the ocean.

"This might be for the best anyway," he said. "I'm leaving for Croatia on Sunday to help a friend with his gallery. I'm not sure how long I'll be there and what I'll do after that."

I walked next to Alex. "Why haven't you told me anything?"

"You wanted space and I respected that."
"I'm grateful for that and I'm going to miss you." I tried to touch Alex's arm but he pulled away.
"I want you to be happy and maybe someday we can be friends." Alex ran his fingers through his hair and refused to look at my way. "But this is not the day."
"I'm s-"

"Just go already." Alex turned his back on me. "Your new boyfriend is waiting for you."

With a heavy heart and feet, I exited the gallery and hardly paid attention to being drenched by the pouring rain as soon as I stepped outside. Danny stood on the sidewalk and I walked over to him. He was drenched and the rain had messed up his hair.

"How are you holding up?" Danny asked.
I wanted to look on the bright side of life and went for a flirtatious tone. "About that autograph, you wanted to give me when we first met in Delicia. I'd like it now and you can write it anywhere you want."

Danny stood still and avoided eye contact with me.

"I'm not interested anymore," he said.
My breath hitched. "W-what?"

"You took so long to make up your mind and I got tired of waiting around." Danny shrugged. "And right now, I don't even have time for a relationship."

Emptiness spread through my whole body as Danny's words sunk in. I must have gone into a slight shock as I simply walked away from him without even saying anything. The cold rain poured on me like a waterfall but I welcomed it as it hid the salty tears running down my numb cheeks. I honestly didn't know which was worse; to be rejected by Danny or the fact that my inner monologue had turned into purple prose.

My hazy thoughts about finding Alexa were interrupted by Danny who twirled me around and wrapped his arms around me. The heat inside him warmed me up in a matter of seconds as he kissed me. He pulled away just enough to look into my eyes. My confusion was written all over my face and Danny's lips curled into a mischievous smile.

"Still as gullible as ever," he said.

"You tricked me?!" I tried to take a step back but Danny tightened his hold of me.