Prologue

What does it mean to be normal? I couldn’t even tell you. By textbook definition, it’s the conformity to social norms; the expectations we’re all supposed to live up to. Sure, the words make sense, but it’s still a concept I can’t wrap my head around. 

I do know some things though and what I know is pretty simple: if normalcy exists, my family is far from it. Obviously. It’s not every day you adopt a child that turns out to be a freak.

My name is Sapphire Rhiannon Valerian-Williams and I am the reason my family can’t be the average kind. 

I live in London with Alexander and Sandra Williams also known as Mum and Dad. I have two sisters who are called Jessica and Charley. They’re twins. The twins have shiny raven black curly hair. Jessica has recently cut hers into a neat bob that falls nicely around her round face. Charley hasn’t done anything to her hairstyle and has left her raven coloured hair to fall down her back forming tight ringlets almost having that frizzy edge to it. The twins have naturally bronze skin and both have brown eyes that resemble the colour of cinnamon. They both have perfect figures as they work out and go for runs daily.

And then there’s me. I have rich mahogany coloured hair with a set of curls that cannot be tamed. My hair falls down to my waist and no matter how much I try to make my unruly mane presentable, it still comes out looking like I’ve just woken up. On top of that, I also have cobalt coloured eyes and insanely pale skin.

My dad is always away on business and my mum works from home. Whenever the two aren’t so busy with their work ethics, I always try to take time out and just hang with them.

Sounds rather normal. Right?

Wrong.

The looks my parents both give me every now and then...the looks of hesitation and remorse reminds me that, our lives can’t be normal. And it’s my entire fault because,

I’m the kid they adopted that turned out to be a freak.