(16) You're The Worst Wingman In The World (Part 1)

CHAPTER 16

It takes me a while to get dressed. I don’t know where we’re going, so I don’t know what I should wear. I know I’m not going to wear a dress—it’s not like we’re on a date, and if this time meeting up is anything like the first time we met, I definitely shouldn’t be wearing dresses. What if he wants to throw paint at someone else’s house? That eliminates anything white, which is the color of my favorite clothes. I want to look a tad bit cute, but not obvious cute, so I can’t wear any makeup.

I let out a sigh. It really sucks being a girl sometimes.

I end up wearing these gray jeans with, like, a million zippers on it and a long sleeved V-neck with a hood. My dark hair is tied up in a ponytail, and I’m proud of how casual-cute I look.

“Going out?” the sound of Dori’s voice makes me jump. I pull my gaze away from the full length mirror on the wall to see her staring at me, a knowing look on her face.

I take notice of the hoodie she’s wearing along with her shoes which she’s pulling off of her feet, “Getting in?” I retort, raising an eyebrow. Two can definitely playing this game.

She smirks. “So where are you going? A date? You look casual-cute.”

“None of your business.” I mutter, not wanting her to hear me, but at the same time knowing she would. I don’t really like her. She makes me uncomfortable, like I always have to watch my back around her. It’s like with Flora, but I actually have to share a room with Dori. Which is worse.

“Hostile much?” she goes, in an amused voice, as if she enjoys bugging me. I give her a flat stare. Her mouth tilts up into a smile. “Want to know where I was?”

Not really, I think, but I don’t say anything, just turn back to the mirror.

She tells me anyway. “I went for a drink, and I don’t mean alcohol.”

This has my attention. I open my mouth to respond to her, but our door is pulled open, momentarily distracting the both of us. Libba enters the room, fully dressed, her hair damp looking. “I can’t believe I let you talk me into this.” She says, running her fingers through her hair hand shaking it out at the ends.

“Believe it,” I answer her, knowing at the back of my mind she wanted to go anyway. “Are you ready?”

“Ooh, is it a date?” Dori asks from her bed in a sarcastic tone, and I roll my eyes.

Libba smirks at her. “Why? Are you jealous Dori? Sorry, but you’re not my type. I’m more into brunettes.” She adds with a wink sent my way, and Dori scoffs.

“Yeah you caught me.” Dori responds flopping back on her bed with a contempt sigh. “I’m totally hot for you, Ackenwood.”

Libba laughs, picking up her bag from the coffee table and slinging it over her shoulder. I follow her out the door, locking it behind us even though Dori is in there. It’s a habit.

Sneaking out of the school is a tad bit harder than it was last time. It seems that every corner we turn there’s a teacher here, a guidance counselor there. At one point we ran into Principal Sachler.

She gives the two of us this huge grin, but her eyebrows are raised suspiciously. “Ms. Crestlin, Ms. Ackenwood, nice outfits.” She comments, looking us up and down. I can feel little beads of sweat determined to escape from the pores on my forehead, the thought of this day being ruined a tad bit terrifying.

“Yeah,” Libba responds smoothly. “It’s the weekend, and we prefer to wear our street clothes. Makes us feel at home, right Val?”

My face catches fire. “Um, right.” I laugh nervously. “What she said.”