(2) We Can't All Be Virgins, Val.

The Red School

Chapter Two

Enjoy!

                My school uniform consists of a flared black skirt that’s meant to stop just above the knees with black see-through stockings, a choice between a long sleeved or short sleeved black button-down shirt, and a red vest with the letters AHV on the left side of the chest.

                Both my sisters and my uniform fit perfectly. It is creepy that our towns government is required to know so much information about us vampires down to our bra size. But, hey, what could we do about it? They also must’ve known all our information, for all us to be automatically enrolled in this school. I'm not even sure thats legal.They don’t bother with the humans nearly as much as they do with us, but whatever.

                It is the morning that we leave for our new school and new life. When we got back last night, mom ironed all of our clothes and forced us to pack, so we were all set. Mom is currently freaking out downstairs about our departure. I can hear her banging around dishes—she’s preparing breakfast—and she’s probably crying or something.

                I don’t have time to feel bad for her. I’m too busy stressing myself. The first day of school had always made me a nervous wreck. I always dreaded going to high school, dealing with mean girls and what-not. Only now, I’ll actually be living with these mean girls. And these mean girls will be vampires, which is probably much worse. I feel like a car wreck has just happened in my stomach.

                I’m staring at myself in my full-length mirror. The uniform doesn’t look too bad on me. The skirt is a bit longer on me than it should be because I’m short. But I do fill out the top, something I did inherit from my mother that my sister didn’t. The thought makes me feel slightly smug, but this feeling is quickly replaced my worry again. My bright blue eyes are more alert than normally. My eyebrows are furrowed, causing wrinkles to form on my forehead.  I pucker my lips as if I’ve just tasted something sour.

               Seeing how much I look like a human, today of all days, razzles me. After a moment’s thought, I quickly apply red lipstick, and smile at myself in the mirror. Then I frown, looking at my black hair which is pushed back by a skinny black headband. I should’ve dyed my hair blonde last night. Or at least bought a wig. If I had been thinking, I would’ve even gotten red contact lenses. I force myself to shrug and pretend I don't care. Not much I can do now.

                                                _________________

                I wander off downstairs, and the clanking in the kitchen only gets louder. “Where’s the damn blender!” I hear my mother yell to herself, and then another clank!

                Going into the kitchen, I am surprised to see my mother leaning over our kitchen sink with blood all over her hands, sobbing to herself.

                “Mom!” I say. I go to help her-somehow-but she holds up one bloody hand, freezing me to the spot.

                “Don’t.” she says in a voice heavy with emotion. “You’ll get blood all over your school uniform.” She tries to get her sobbing under control and then turns on the sink. “Val, please step out of the kitchen for a minute.”

                I do as I’m told, with a frown on my face. After a full minute, when I think it’s finally safe, I go back into the kitchen. Mom’s hands are now back to white, and gripping the sink. “I didn’t want you to see me that way.” She explains.