Chapter Fourteen

Monday.

The day I've been waiting for, but also dreading.

I can't wait to give Devin a piece of my mind about how he treated Lisa. But on the other hand I'd have to face Leo and I don't want to see the disappointment in his baby blue eyes.

Even though I didn't do anything wrong I still felt bad about what happened. Maybe I can corner Leo and force him to hear me out. If I just explained what actually happened he wouldn't have any reason to be angry with me.

But first I have to talk to Liam. Lucky me.

I was putting my empty cereal bowl in the sink when there was a knock at the front door. Dad and I exchanged a confused look before I went to see who was there.

Liam was the last person I would expect to be at the door, so when I opened it I was shocked to find him standing on the porch.

"Uh, hi?" I said, but it came out as a question. I'm sure he could tell just how confused I was to have him standing there, especially since last night he left to be with his sister and someone else had taken his place watching over the house.

"I should give you a ride, it's the safest thing to do right now." He explained his reason for being here, and I nodded in understanding.

Now I don't have to hunt him down to talk to him since he's right here and giving me a ride to school.

We silently walked over to his car after I told dad I was leaving for school, and once inside and buckled in, drove off. It was kind of awkward being alone with him after everything that's happened between us, especially since the last time I saw him was when he ruined my friendship with Leo. I was still mad at him for that.

"Does Leo know about the gang stuff?" I asked, breaking the tense silence.

I think Leo knows about Liam and Garrett being in a gang. When his parents came over for dinner and I spoke with him in the backyard he hinted at knowing the sketchy stuff his friends are involved in, and when I asked about it he said it's not his secret to tell. But I had to make sure Leo knew before I explained what really happened a couple nights ago.

I didn't want to tell Leo about that gang stuff if he didn't already know, he doesn't deserve to be pulled into all of that.

"Yeah, he knows. Why?" Liam answered and I let out a sigh of relief.

My friendship with Leo can be saved.

"If he knows about the gang stuff, that means I can explain why I was really with you." I explained, a triumphant smile spreading across my face.

He cussed under his breath and my grin widened for a second before a thought struck me and my face fell.

"Why don't you want Leo to be friends with me? Do you really hate me that much?" I asked, my voice almost a whisper.

Liam whipped his head in my direction so fast he probably got whiplash.

"I don't hate you."

I scrunched my face in confusion, "Why don't you want Leo to be friends with me then?"

He ran a hand through his hair and trained his eyes on the road before replying, "Do you really think Leo just wants to be friends with you?"

The confused expression didn't leave my face, "What do you mean?"

"Leo wants to date you. Not be friends with you." Liam said slowly, like he was explaining a difficult equation to a child.

Leo wants to be my boyfriend? Why didn't I realize that? It makes so much sense, he was flirting with me when his family had supper at my house. He's been really nice to me. He wanted to hang out this weekend.