Chapter Twenty-Two

One week.

It's been one whole week since I've talked to Liam.

He's been avoiding me since he dropped me off at home after school the day a smoothie was poured on me and my painting was ruined.

And I don't know why.

One minute everything was fine between us, and then all of a sudden it's like we never even knew each other.

In class he sits on the opposite side of the room, at lunch he's nowhere to be found, and whenever I try to talk to him he just pretends like he didn't hear me.

I don't know what I did wrong.

The only good thing about being ignored by Liam is that Danielle and her friends haven't been bothering me as much. The only thing they do now is insult me from time to time, which I can easily brush off.

I sighed as I pushed the school door opened and walked into the hallway. The last place I wanted to be today was in this hellhole.

All of a sudden an arm shot out of a classroom I was walking past and pulled me inside.

"What the -"

"Shhhh." A deep voice whispered, and my stomach flipped.

I turned around and looked at Liam, my eyebrows pulled together in confusion. What is he doing? Why is he suddenly acknowledging my existence?

"Happy birthday." He finally said, scratching the back of his head sheepishly.

My heart warmed at the fact that he remembered. But why would he wish me a happy birthday if he's been ignoring me for a whole week?

"Uh, thanks." I finally replied, shifting my weight from one foot to the other uncomfortably. What was his intention for pulling me into this classroom?

There was a long silence between us before Liam finally spoke.

"Look, I want to expl-" He began but stopped when high pitched squealing sounded in the hallway outside of the classroom.

The voices of Danielle and her friends was unmistakeable.

Without warning Liam gently grabbed my arm and led me out of the classroom, cutting off Danielle as she was about to walk by.

"I want you to leave me alone. I don't want anything to do with you okay?" Liam turned to me and snapped, taking me completely off guard.

I opened my mouth to ask why he was suddenly so angry but he cut me off.

"I don't want to hear it. Just leave me alone." He told me, loudly, but not quite a yell, and then he stormed off.

"I guess he got bored of you pretty quick." Danielle commented in that sickly sweet tone of hers as she walked past me.

What just happened? One minute Liam was finally acknowledging me again, and being nice, and then like a switch was flicked he was suddenly mean Liam again.

What did I do?

And what confused me most was that he didn't even look angry when he snapped at me, his expression was just blank. And that concerned me the most. Maybe he doesn't think I'm worth showing his emotions to anymore.

The bell ringing ripped me from my thoughts and I groaned at the fact that I was about to be late to class.

I hate my birthday.

•  •  •  •  •  •  •

"How was school today?" Dad asked when I stepped into the house.