Chapter Nine

"Great, you two already know each other!" Dad cheered, obviously pleased by this.

Why? I have no idea.

Leo nodded, "We met through a mutual friend." And as he said friend he looked pointedly at me.

I winced at the message he was sending me. Liam obviously told him what happened today.

"Well you two can go hang out while we finish supper." Leo's mom suggested, smiling warmly.

"Wanna go to the backyard?" I asked Leo once our parents left the room.

He nodded so that's exactly where we went.

Once outside I stood awkwardly for a moment while I thought of what to do. I didn't think this far ahead. Maybe I should've suggested the living room so we could just watch T.V.

"Take a seat with me Emma. I'm dying to know why you're not interested in the acquaintance of my good friend Liam." Leo said, patting the seat on my bench swing while he spoke.

I quietly sat down and waited for him to speak again. I had nothing to say.

"Why don't you like him?" He finally asked.

I sighed, "He's the bad boy. I don't want to get involved in drinking, drugs, and violence."

Leo's eyebrows raised in surprise. I guess Liam didn't tell him much about our talk today. Only that I didn't want to be his friend.

"I understand that, but he's really not that bad." He defended.

I shook my head, he just doesn't get it.

"You guys aren't the type of people I want to associate myself with." I explained, shrugging.

Leo looked offended by my words.

"I'm not like them, you know. I drink when I'm with them but I've never done drugs. And I'm not involved in the other stuff they're involved in."

I thought back to the football game when I saw Liam and his friends smoking weed, I didn't see Leo there.

I crinkled my nose in confusion. Why is Leo friends with Liam and Garrett if he doesn't do all the bad stuff they do? Why would he want to be around that?

"Sure, they do bad things, but that doesn't make them bad people. They're good guys, and fun to be around. They're my best friends, but that doesn't mean I have to do the stuff that they do." He continued when I didn't respond.

"What are they involved in? Other than the drugs. Liam was beating a guy up over $500, what's that all about?" I questioned. I've wanted to know ever since I saw Liam punch that guy.

Leo shook his head, "That's not my secret to tell."

Stupid loyal Leo.

"Look, it doesn't even matter if I wanted to be Liam's friend again. He hates me now and he has that blonde girl." I told him, cringing at the thought of that bimbo.

I bet she has at least five different STDs.

"I think you kind of messed things up with Liam, but I'll be your friend." Leo joked, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively at me.

I laughed and playfully shoved his shoulder so he would stop with the eyebrow thing.

"But for real, I'd love to get to know you better. You seem like a great girl." He said, all joking aside.

My cheeks warmed at the way he was suddenly looking at me. His eyes looked so warm and inviting, and they seemed to be staring into my soul.

"And did I mention how beautiful you look." He continued.