18

Sora came running up to Nadine with James right behind her.

"Mommy! Mommy! I can't find my other tsinelas!"

Nadine squinted her eyes at James, who put his hands up in the air.

"In my defense, I made sure both of them were tight on her feet before we went out to the shore. It couldn't have gone that far..."

Nadine playfully rolled her eyes and took a hold of Sora's hand before walking to where the two were playing in the water. Of course her daughter would be that child who loses one slipper and not both.

To be fair, their family outing was going by so perfectly, Sora losing her tsinelas wouldn't even ruin the mood. James was able to book almost the whole resort by Tuggerah Lake so that all their family could have a place to themselves for the weekend.

Lauren's kids started to help looking, going further north and south from the spot because the current might have brought it there. James was quietly reaching down to see if he could find Sora's pink jelly slipper. Nadine took note of his silence as she peered through the clear waters to see if she could spot any pink thing.

After some time, she told all the kids to go back to the pop-up gazebo where Nadine and James' parents set up a full on feast. Before Nadine went to look for the tsinelas, she was helping Lauren with a new pinakbet recipe she found on her latest trip to Siargao.

James was still looking, but less intensely. Nadine walked up to him and tilted her head cutely to the side.

"I'm sorry, Love. I know you just got them for her since her feet grew. I should've been more careful."

She giggled and kissed him on the cheek, "It's just a slipper, James. It's not like it's a wedding ring or jewelry. Sora's a kid and they lose everything."

James grabbed her hand, "You're not mad?"

Nadine's grin widened as she held out her hand to reveal a dripping wet, bright pink sandal, "Why should I be?"

"Where did you find that?!" he asked in amazement. "I looked everywhere before we even came up to ask you."

"Probably 20 minutes ago. I just thought you looked so cute looking for it like you lost something really important."

"I did lose something important," he said as he wrapped his arms around her waist.

She looked up at him with her brows furrowed.

"I lost my heart. If you find it, you can keep it."

"You're so corny!" she laughed, slapping his chest. "C'mon, let's go..."

Nadine started to walk, but James pulled her back to give her a kiss. As she wrapped her arms around his neck, they heard a very pregnant Alia call out for them.

"You two can do that later! There's children here! And by children, I mean Jack!"

~~~~~~~

After everyone had finished eating, all the food packed up and ready to go back into each family's respective casita, the adults sat in a big circle around the bonfire as the kids roasted marshmallows for s'mores.

The only people missing were Nadine and Sora because Sora accidentally spilled kare-kare sauce on her dress and Nadine went to help her change.

"Thank you, James, for booking this place and for inviting us to your family outing," Tita My said to him.

"Of course, Tita. It's no big deal. You're family to me too. You always have been. And I think Nadine would be pretty bummed out if you all didn't come."