Chapter 1 - Change Is Constant

Chapter 1

I've known Kendall all my life. Really even before that. Kendall, Audrey, and I were neighbors on the same block even while waiting in our mothers' bellies. The playdates were pretty much destined. He has been one of my best friends for forever. Not my best friend, which would be Audrey, but still one of them. Now there are four of us Lindsey, Audrey, Kendall, and me (Bridget), but he is still the only boy. Well as we grew up Kendall started looking good, really good! The bumpy headed boy from the block started filling out well. A lot of girls took notice, including me. At twelve he gave me my first kiss, which after that we repeated often, like friends do. At least that is how I thought about it. It is better to learn to kiss with a friend you trust, right? Still Kendall and I remained just friends. In fact I never really thought of Kendall in a serious way. Life was pretty easy for the four of us because we always had each other. I never thought that would change. Well, not until junior year.

____

In their 11th grade year, life had become crazy for the crew. Audrey and Bridget would be starting the school year at a new private school. Audrey's parents were trying to get her more focused and prepared for college, and felt that Ivy Groves Academy was the perfect place for her. Audrey was the perfect blend of her 5'5" white French Canadian mother and 6 foot African American father. She stood at 5'7", her slender body covered in light toffee colored skin, tightly coiled dark auburn ringlets, and hazel eyes. Audrey was a walking golden statue but did not have a goddess complex. Her looks were made to stand out but her humble personality often left her in her best friend's shadow, but that is where she liked it.

Bridget was always the center of attention. Leading a group and grabbing the attention of an audience was something that came natural to her, despite the fact that she was only 5'2". Though it wasn't her idea to attend a new school, when Audrey told her she was looking at a one Bridget was excited about the opportunity. Bridget was fearless and forward and, so she applied for the high achievers scholarship at Ivy Groves confident that she would get it, which she did.

"So I got my letter of acceptance from Ivy Groves yesterday" Bridget mentioned casually as she painted Audrey's nails a bright orange, one hot summer afternoon. Audrey squealed excitedly since she no longer would be stuck in a strange place alone come August.

"Ooh yes! I wish Kendall and Lindsey were coming with us, but knowing you're going to be there too definitely makes me feel less stressed."

"Audrey you already know there was no way that Lindsey was going to Ivy Groves. If she can't wear saucer size hoop earrings and bright colors everyday she will explode." Bridget chuckled.

Lindsey served as the creative force of the group. She and her mother moved to the area when Lindsey was 11. She had appeared quiet and shy at first, but once the class took out supplies for an art project her voice came out as well. From that day forward no one viewed Lindsey as quiet again. Everything she did was a bold statement and she wouldn't fit in the organized halls of Ivy Groves Academy.

"True, Lindsey would be the female version of Will Smith, remember when his jacket was decked out on Fresh Prince when they went to school." Audrey laughed. "But, I think that Kenny could have fit in alright."

"Kendall is establishing himself as some sort of royalty at West Marshall. He is not going to give up his thrown and gaggle of groupies to start over," Bridget sighed trying not to sound bitter.

"I don't know about that. He deserved to be the first sophomore on the varsity basketball team. He worked hard you know."

"Yeah I know. Anyway my point is Kendall is already settled there, and we are about to have a brand new experience. We should be excited about it not trying to fall back from it." Bridget began to perk back up. "So let's look through this Ivy Groves course Catalog again and plan our next step."