Chapter 8: Words and Whispers

Chapter 8

I am not the type of dude who cannot admit his faults. Stuff like that does not phase me. If I don't know something, tell me. If I am wrong, let me know what is right. I would rather have the info to improve myself than walk around ignorant and wrong all the time. No one can ever say Kendall Roberts isn't open to improvement. Plus it takes a lot for me to feel embarrassed or ashamed. I can probably count all my truly embarrassing moments in life on one hand. So when Kayla was telling me some of her ideas for homecoming I was open. She clearly knew more on the subject than I did, and sure some of it sounded corny, particularly Spirit Day Switch. I have no problem letting her wear my basketball jersey. She would look sexy in it no doubt. But she was having trouble convincing me that her dressing me up in a dance team like costume would win votes. And trust me she would put in work to convince me. I was getting a lot of reward kisses and stuff for my participation in our quest for King and Queen Status. Those rewards, and the simple fact that Kayla really is a sweet, fun girl, got me motivated to actually come up with ideas of my own. When I came up with the idea that our themed day should be Heroes vs Villains, Kayla rewarded me beyond what I could have imagined, or described.

___

Kendall and Kayla remained oblivious that anyone had seen their display of affection in the parking lot. Though the rumors of a possible hook up and unspoken relationship had been brewing through the halls of West Marshall from the time they announced their joint campaign as homecoming candidates. They didn't really talk about what their relationship was turning into. They worked on the campaign and anything else was just a perk of their budding friendship. Kendall had learned from the Bridget incident not to overthink a good thing. When he was around Kayla he was focused on Kayla, when he wasn't, then he wasn't. And there definitely wasn't a need for him to talk about it. Except for the fact that Kendall's closest friends were girls, and girls didn't just want to talk. They wanted to analyze everything down the most minute details.

Audrey had caught the sight of Bridget unprepared and hurt. She had to know what had affected her bestie and why. After much grilling Bridget had admitted that she and Kendall had begun seeing each other over the summer. Bridget added she was surprised to see he had moved on to Kayla. It was a simple enough answer except she was talking to Audrey. Sure Audrey was a late comer to the info of the latest fling, but Audrey had every other record of the Bridget/Kendall saga permanently engrained in her head. Audrey knew that Bridget had initiated the first kiss between the two friends. Audrey was the one who heard about every kissing event that happened after that. Audrey was who Bridget vented to when girls talked about having interest in Kendall. And Kendall had gone to Audrey about his jealousy of Josh with Bridget. At the time Audrey told him, "Kenny, you and Bridget do this thing where you act like each other's security blanket. If either of you have problems in an outside relationship you go and kiss each other until you feel better. That is not normal. I don't think you should do that anymore. Don't try to hook up with Bridget anymore if you aren't really interested in dating her. It isn't healthy for you guys, and it could be destructive for the rest of us too." She had told him that weeks before the summer relationship had begun.Audrey thought Kendall had understood her because he never came to her about interest in Bridget again. Now she was finding out he had done the opposite.

About a week after Briana's sweet sixteen party Kendall was preparing the last details for homecoming week in his room but was interrupted by an annoyed Audrey. After texting him to confirm he was home, she marched to his house and into his room barely knocking.

"We need to talk." She barked

"Wow we have mad Audrey today. What did I do?" Kendall knew it had to be something serious because Audrey never got genuinely mad at him without a good reason.