Finding The Right Picture

So here I am going to discuss the picture aspect of your cover. It's very important and probably should be given the most consideration. The picture is the main part of the cover and will most likely be the thing that catches the reader's eye.

First off, your picture size should be 256 x 400. Saving it as a PNG type will give you closer to 100% quality than a JPEG type. Don't worry if you can't change the format though, because as long as your picture is not pixelated, the difference will not be highly noticeable.

Now, where can you find this perfect picture that's going to catch a reader's eye?

I have a few great sources here:

- Pinterest

- We Heart It

- DeviantART

For We Heart It and Pinterest, if you don't already have an account, it's simple and free to create one. For DeviantART, it is not necessary to create an account, but personally, I've had better luck with We Heart It and Pinterest.

Something you should definitely NOT do, is get an image from just Google search. If you're looking for a character and are going to cut it out, it's fine, but for a main image, it's not a good choice. Believe me, I've tried and your images will almost always turn out blurry and pixelated.

Images from We Heart It and Pinterest are sized larger and so when you re-size it to the proper size for a cover, it will still be clear and eye catching.If the image still looks squished, you can use the crop tool to take out extra areas and then re-size it again for a better look.

As far as cutting out an image goes, I use the free form select tool, in Microsoft Paint. I find that the easiest, and then later, I go on to edit more thoroughly on Pixlr or iPiccy. 

If you don't want to use Paint, or don't have it available, Pixlr editor (not express) has a lasso tool in which you can do the same thing. Pixlr Express and iPiccy have eraser tools that you can use to cut things out too.

Use what works best for you! It's your cover!

If you have cut out pictures, then you can put them onto the background you want to finish your cover by adding text etc. I would advise that you use the 'heal' tool on Pixlr Express and go around the edges of your cutouts so that the outline of the cutout isn't too sharp. I'll discuss that more in the chapter about using Pixlr.

So, now you have a picture!

Author's Note:

Hey guys! I hope this guide has been helping you so far. If you have any questions, just comment below. I'll be happy to answer!