What Should Be On Your Cover

Now, I know that this sounds a bit obvious. Of course everyone knows what should be on their covers! But there's more to it than you think. Not a lot more, but just enough for me to take some time to explain it.

When you are making your cover, you want to make something that will give people the main idea of your story. That can be anything from the main characters to an important object or scene. This will be covered more in the chapter about Pictures.

It's your choice, but make sure it goes with your story and gives readers the idea about the book that you want them to have.

Of course, you'll want to include the Title and Author of the book on your cover. In general, the Title should be clear and able to be seen well. The Author does not have to be as noticeable.  This will be covered more in the chapter about Fonts.

Sometimes, it's nice to add an important quote from the book, or a subtitle. These are nice additions, but you don't want to use them all the time. If there isn't room on your cover, don't try too hard to make room, then your cover will just turn out to look crowded. This will be covered more in the chapter about Positioning and Placement.