Chapter 47: It Gets Worse

The wendigo pulled and clawed themselves from the muddy, bloodstained stream, free from the earth down to their waist. They gasped and choked and snarled through the clay-like mix stuck to their muzzles, whipping back their wet, dirty, blood soaked fur.

“When I tell you to run I want you to run downstream as fast as you can and make your way to the cliff,” Elliot said without taking a breath.

“Downstream? Cliff? I thought we needed to go-”

“Just do it!” he shouted.

“Alright, alright!”

Elliot’s right arm dyed itself coal black and his veins shone a bright neon white through his skin. Nico glanced at it from time to time. She knew he wasn’t human, but the reminder was always more than surprising.

As soon as the first wendigo pulled one foot out of the stream, Elliot rushed over to it and smashed its head into the ground with his open palm. It convulsed and flailed violently as he sent what looked like a heavy voltage into its body, effectively surging its way into the water and catching the soaking coat of every growling pair of fangs within ten feet of it.

“Now!” Elliot shouted. Without hesitation, Nico dashed to the right and ran along the stream as quickly as she could, hopping and skipping over flailing wendigo limbs.

Not too much further down the stream, the path took a sharp left, as did the stream. Nico didn’t stop to wonder exactly what particular logic gravity had in this place and continued to follow it.

“Not sure where you’re supposed to be going.” Nico gasped and skidded to stop as she turned the corner. Trust’s human apparition stood in front of her, grinning. “I’m pretty sure you’re supposed to go upstream?”

Nico ignored his taunting and clenched her fist. Adrenaline surged through her chest and she dug the balls of her feet into the ground. He’s not really there, she thought to herself.

“Do us both a favor and give up,” he stated darkly, “I’ll make it quick and painless, for memories sake. How about it?”

Another bloodcurdling roar pierced the air, closer than the last. His real body isn’t here. She dashed forward, quick as a bolt and ran straight through the faded form it watched her in surprise.

The path continued to zigzag unrelentingly. As soon as she turned the next corner, Trust stood there waiting for her again, but she didn’t hesitate for a moment.

“You’re just making this harder than it has to be.”

She turned the next corner and there he was again.

“What exactly do you think you’re going to accomplish? You think you’ll get to the witch before me? Are you stupid, this isn’t even the right way! Seriously!”

His apparition appeared again and again after every turn, waiting for her, growing angrier and angrier as the mutant screams slowly crept up on her.

“The only reason you’re still alive right now is because I’ve let you live this long! I’m doing it for you! I don’t have to!”

Left, right, left, right. The walls got closer with every turn, the twists and turns wouldn’t stop, and Trust gradually raised his voice until he was shouting at her.

“You can’t kill me.”

“You can’t beat me.”

You can’t stop me.

Finally, the walls turned into a straight away, and the river flowed just a few miles to what looked like an open area. She glanced over her shoulder for a single moment and noticed the massive grey figure lurching over the wall behind her, reaching over with its giant clawed hand, poking its head and sighting her with its menacing, black eye.