Chapter 32: Father

“Stupid Clarity,” Nico mumbled, chasing the two of them back into the valley. “I swear, I’m gonna fill a back full of everything she owns and smack her around with it or something.” She wiped the dripping blood from her nose again where Clarity punched her. She hit a lot harder than Nico ever thought she could for such a frail girl.

But none of that even mattered, the problem at hand was all that needed to be focused on. Clarity already made it beyond the valley doors, her father close behind. “How does she run so fast?!” said Nico.

Out of the corner of her eye, Nico couldn’t help but catch a glimpse of the house she met old lady Flowers on the way here. Wasn’t there a garden full of flowers in front of the house before? Oddly enough, she could have sworn there was. She shook her head. It wasn’t even important right now.

She panted heavily by the time she reached the valley gates. Fearing she had fallen behind, she briskly walked through the doors only to realize that she was right. Neither Clarity or Mr. Riverwolf could be seen anywhere. More likely than not, Clarity ran to the dorm, so Nico hoped that she would be able to catch up soon if she went there.

Just beyond the train station, she ran past the school and decided to take a shortcut through the edge of the villa to get to the girls dorms more quickly. Along the way, she noticed Blake walking along the same path as herself.

“Whoa, what’s the rush, Nico?” he said as she ran past, “Got caught swiping something?”

“No time Blake! It’s an emergency!” Then a thought struck her and she skidded to a stop, turning around and running back to him. “Wait-I need your help.”

“Um, okay?”

“Go to the Town Guard and bring them outside, as many as you can and get Mr. Riverwolf arrested!”

“What? Why?”

“He’s got elbicide on him.”

“Whoa-you’re kidding, right? Isn’t this Clarity’s dad we’re talking about here?”

“I’ll tell you more about it later-I’m in a hurry right now.”

“Wait, but it’s not illegal here! How exactly are you supposed to get him arrested by the Town Guard?”

“It’s not illegal, but it’s not on the list of prescribed drugs, either. It’s enough to hold him for questioning, and that’s all I need. I just have to get Clarity away from him!”

“Okay, good idea!”

Nico ran along the villa while Blake ran at her side to the Guard House along the way. Before either of them made it to their destinations, they caught up with the desperate cries of Mr. Riverwolf as he called out Clarity’s name.

“Clarity! Claire!” He received odd glances from passing townspeople as they walked by. Ignoring them, he ran around, behind houses, in front of them, shouting out to her, hoping she would answer. He looked lost in more ways than one.

Then he noticed Nico out of the corner of his eye. Unhesitant, he made a beeline towards her.

“Blake,” Nico called, but he was already in front of her.

“I’ve got this,” he said.

“You!” he said, pointing at her, “Where did she go? I know you know!”

Blake held up a hand. “Sir, I’m going to have to ask you stay awa-”

“Shut up, runt,” he said, pushing him to the side. He glared down at Nico with his puffy red eyes.