Chapter 36: Blake's Trial

Judge Trudge waddled through the double doors of the court room followed by several officials and officers of the Town Guard. A black robe draped over his plump figure and a white wig over his head stated that he took is role incredibly seriously, despite it being his first court case.

Blake and Phillip followed the group of officials into the room shortly after, sitting themselves down in the defendant’s seats. The court room didn’t look traditional. Instead the floor paneling and walls filled the room with a grainy gray texture, accompanied by the stone and steel structure of each podium in the front of the room. Even the wooden trimming of the seats in the back were colored gray. It made for a very grim atmosphere. However, the thing that cemented the dark atmosphere of the room into everyone’s heads was the chair in front of the podium facing the rest of the court. A chair clearly made for executions.

“Will the room please be seated,” Trudge announced, his deep voice booming through the room as he slammed his mallet into the lectern, “Court is in session.”

Phillip raised his hand for attention. “Excuse me, your honor, why is there a chair in the center of the room?”

Trudge smirked at him and guffawed, “That, my boy, is so that we can do a public execution immediately after we determine the final verdict as guilty.”

Phillip’s eyes widened and his jaw slacked. “Execution?”

Trudge nodded, “The Valley recently passed a law for the death sentence. Criminals who’s offences involve murder, violent assault or long track records of thievery can be punished with death. Such as your friend there.” Phillip and Blake stared at each other with worried expressions.

Multiple people lined up from behind the judge and entered a benched seating next to the podium. None of them looked familiar, except for one dual pony-tailed girl who wore and ‘intern’ band…

“Abby?” said Blake, noticing her from across the room, “Abigail? Hey!” Blake waved at her, and she noticed. The very second after looking at him, she turned her head away as if to pretend she didn’t know who he was. Phillip yanked Blake’s arm from the air and pinned it to his side.

“We don’t know who she is, got it?” Phillip whispered.

“But-”

We don’t know her.

Suddenly it clicked for him. His mouth formed a silent ‘o’ and he quickly clammed back up. But he couldn’t help taking glances at her every now and again.

“The case of Blake vs. Pierce Valley is now in session. The defendant’s charges are murder and unlawful possession of a firearm. What is the defendant’s plea?”

“Not guilty, your honor!” Phillip exclaimed.

“Please the let defendant speak for himself,” Trudge dictated in an irritated voice. Phillip snapped a look in Blake’s direction, his eyes begging him not to think twice about it. Blake hesitated, but the pressure from Phillip’s glare managed to quell doubt bogging his mind.

“Not guilty…” Blake announced. Phillip sighed with relief and sat down. And then Blake continued, “On the first account.”

A quiet murmur floated around the court. Trudge grunted, examining Blake carefully. “So you mean to tell me that you are guilty of possessing a gun, but not of killing Mr. Riverwolf?”

“That’s not what I said,” Blake protested.

“Both crimes go hand in hand, my boy.”

“Objection, your honor!” Phillip shouted, “You’re reaching a personal verdict before we’ve even begun!”