Waking Up

Dull noise. Wha...? Talking. Familiar voices. They sound so sad. Crying? Why? White hot pain. Everywhere. It suddenly flares, getting worse. I groan. The pain subsides. I can hear one voice talking.

"You gotta hang in there, okay? They're trying to find a way to help. Just.... stay here, okay? Don't leave."

Leave? Where would I go? It went silent. No one was talking now.

I blacked out a lot. When I was awake, it was barely. My thoughts were broken and short and so was the noises I heard. Some times the talking came as if from far away, others right next to my ear. I only understood bits and pieces.

"... looks awful..."

"Come on, Dan. We're friends now..."

"... shots they think will help..."

"...wake up..."

"... get better...right?"

"... I love you..."

"Don't die, please...."

"... make friends even when unconscious..."

"... be fine now."

"They say you're getting better..."

"... your fault! You left him there, you knew this was gonna happen! Why? Why did you let us go through that torture?!"

"... for reasons..."

"... would make a great couple. You know, once he's awake."

"... Sam. I just don't know. What if..."

"Dan, it's time to wake up. You have friends waiting for you. And family, even if you don't want them to be. Just wake up. I want to see your eyes again. I always loved your eyes. They remind me of rubies and red roses."

"I heard an awesome song on the radio. I'll sing it to you sometime soon..."

"... Safe and Sound by Taylor Swift. I don't usually like her music, but this one's different..."

"I remember tears streaming down your face when I said I'll never let you go,

When all those shadows almost killed your light,

I remember you said don't leave me here alone,

But all that's dead and gone and passed tonight.

"Just close your eyes,

The sun is going down,

You'll be alright,

No one can hurt you now,

Come morning light,

You and I'll be safe and sound.

"Don't you dare look out your window,

Darling, everything's on fire,

The war outside our door keeps raging on,

Hold on to this lullaby,

Even when the music's gone,

Gone

"Just close your eyes,

The sun is going down,

You'll be alright,

No one can hurt you now,

Come morning light,

You and I'll be safe and sound.

"Ooh ooh ooh ooh

Ooh ooh ooh ooh

LA LA LA LA

LA LA LA LA

Ooh ooh ooh ooh

Ooh ooh ooh ooh

LA LA

LA LA

"Just close your eyes

You'll be alright

Come morning light

You and I'll be safe and sound."

I was more awake this time. Unlike before, I was able to tell that I was laying on something soft and warm with a blanket over me. It still hurt everywhere, but it was a dull pain, slightly sharper at my shoulder. Nothing I couldn't handle. The voice that was singing came from Flare sitting next to me. I heard her sigh.

My eyes felt heavy, but I managed to pry them open. I immediately knew I was in my old room. Well, Danny's room, I guess. Those NASA posters were still plastered on the blue walls and the alarm clock sat on the nightstand, blinking the time of 3:24 up at me.

Flare was sitting next to the bed, holding my hand tightly. Her head was laying on the bed, her flame hair dancing around her body. She looked absolutely beat, nearly falling asleep right there. I had a feeling it wouldn't be the first time.

I squeezed her hand, smiling as her head shot up to look at me. "Dan!" She screached, giving me the biggest hug, upsetting my shoulder. I winced, making her draw back, a frown on her face. "Sorry."

I smiled. "Calm down. I little pain won't kill me." She grinned wide, giving me another hug, this one mor gentle.

"I'm glad you're okay." She mumbled into my chest. "I was scared you wouldn't wake up."

"I'm awake now." I said, trying to comfort her. She drew back, still smiling like crazy.

"I can't begin to describe how happy it makes me."