Austria, 1836

*Levi's POV*

I stared out my bedroom window, watching that little shit Eren run around with the other servants, playing some stupid game with a ball of old newspaper wrapped up in twine. Dear God, I'm acting like an Austrian, like I've never played a game before in my life. Before I moved here me and the other kids from the orphanage played futball all the time.

I'm getting to be a snob.

I watched for a while, specifically Eren. Ever since our encounter a few weeks ago, he's been kind of distant, but I can't say I blame the brat. I feel kind of bad for slapping him, it really wasn't necessary. Besides, I now yearned for his presence. His mutty, bratty, filtthy presence. I could always ring the bell to bring him inside but.....I was enjoying watching him play. His hair which got so messy so quickly was an even greater disheveled wad, flying all over his head as he ran about, chasing the ball. His tan skin on his cheeks burned red from the nipping cold air, but his eyes, those cursed eyes were bright and happy.

Happy....

What a fucked up concept.

I watched for a bit longer before I turned away, sighing to myself. I couldn't stand  those damned servants. They were so fucking happy, despite their shitty job and shitty wages. I don't have to lift a goddamn finger and yet I'm miserable as shit.

I make my way downstairs, were Ervin and Hanji were making small talk and sipping tea, Ervin reading the newspaper and Hanji also watching the servants. She's the one who suggested they go and play anyway. Hearing me walking up, she turned and smiled, her glasses gleaming from the light.

"Levin! You've finally crawled out of your hermit cave? Good, good~ We've missed you, come won't you have some tea? The servants are quite adorable, playing out in the snow like that." She chuckled. Hanji was the type who liked to observe people, she was a doctor, anyway. Ervin gave me a curt nod. He was a man of observation as well, but he tends to keep to himself. I guess I can respect him. I grab a tea cup by the rim and grab a spoon.

"I'm going to be in my piano room." Was all I said, walking right back out. 

"Alright, well if you want anything you--" 

I cut her off with the hard slam of the piano room door. God, that woman just drives me insane. I sigh, sipping my tea and walking to my piano. Placing the cup on my piano, I touched the keys experimentally as I sat down, my mind pondering what I wanted to play. Finally I settled on a song my real mother taught me, pressing down on the keys to begin. 

The sound of the music filled the air, my mind going off to happier times that barely lasted. I furrowed my thin eyebrows, my eyes closed as I played, trying to focu on those memories.

Happy.....happy.....be happy..... I tried telling myself, trying to force the happy times to my mind. Happy....happy....frohe, happy.

"Happy, you unhappy bastard," I hissed at myself, the wetness of tears running down my cheeks. "Why can't you be fucking happy...?"

My eyes shot open as a gentle hankerchief covered finger wiped at my cheek, a slow yet soothing motion as I stared down at the blurry white and black keys. I blinked, sending the blurriness away, letting the ghost hankerchief wipe them away.

"Bitte weine nicht--Please don't cry, Herr Levin," a gentle German voice said next to me. Of course, this brat would find me crying over a damned piano. Damn him. I slapped his hand away, wiping my eyes furiously. 

"I'm not fucking crying," I growled, glaring at him through eyes that were probably red. He gave me an unconvinced look, and I turned away from his face.