Chapter 22: Old Man Roger and Miss Daisy

Chapter 22

~Cam~

My healing split lip made smiling uncomfortable but I did it anyway because someone told me that I had a great smile. So, I smiled at myself in the mirror and my reflection smiled back. Just thinking about the jar filled with all those nice notes made me feel so happy inside that I felt like I was going to burst.

I titled my head to the side, studying my face. I didn't really see anything nice about my smile. It looked like the same smile I'd been seeing on my face all my life. It was the same way I felt about my hair and my skin and my eyes and every other part of my body that people said they liked.

Maybe when my eye healed I could take a good look and maybe see what they were talking about. I really hoped that I would be able to see all the good things. I wanted to see what they saw.

I looked at the jar that was sitting on the counter beside me. It was my third favorite gift that I'd ever gotten. My first favorite was the camera Damion had given me, and my second favorite was the bracelet Damion had given me after Christmas. Everything changed for me after meeting Damion. Everything felt better and easier and I felt happier.

I wished I could explain to him how happy he was making me but when I explained stuff, the words just never seemed right. He was gone to work so it was just me and Happy at the house and it was weird being here for so long alone. It was weird not working too. I'd spent most of my life working, so sitting around doing nothing felt strange...and it made me feel a little bit guilty too.

I poked the bruise under my eye. When it healed up I was going to start working at Damion's fancy restaurant. I was nervous, but this morning I'd woken up feeling all excited too, so that was a good sign. Everyone in Damion's life seemed so nice and friendly, so maybe the people who worked for him would be too.

I looked around his bathroom, then picked up my jar and walked out into the bedroom. I wondered how long I would actually get to stay with him. He said for as long as I wanted but I wanted to stay forever, and maybe that wasn't quite what he'd meant.

How long was too long? My friend Jason used to say that if they gave you an inch you should still just take a pinch, that way you would never get used to someone's kindness. He said that if you never got used to kindness then when people were mean to you it wouldn't hurt so bad.

I set the jar down on the side table and picked up Happy, who was running around my legs. He wiggled in my arms and I kissed his soft fur.

"Sometimes people are just always kind though Jason." I whispered to myself in the quiet room. "Sometimes they're just always going to be kind to you because that's just who they are." That's just who Damion was. I believed that with my whole heart.

"How do I make him love me Happy?" I asked him as we walked out of the room and down the stairs. This morning I'd gone on Damion's computer and researched how to make someone fall in love with you, but everything was so vague. I wanted a straight answer. I wanted to know the exact steps.

I'd even called Tate to ask him and all he'd said was to just be myself, but stuff like that only worked for people like him. I needed something that was going to work for people like me, but I didn't know any people like me who I could call. Jason would be the perfect person to talk to. Jason knew everything because he understood the world better than a lot of people. I sighed and put Happy down on the couch in the living room.

I didn't like being in his big empty house alone. When he was around it felt cozy and homey, but when it was just me and Happy, it felt cold and uncomfortable. Plus, I could have sworn I heard a weird creaking noise...but it wasn't as if I believed in ghosts or anything. I bit my lip and looked around.