Chapter 8: Coward

Chapter 8

The morning went by fairly quickly and I enjoyed every second of it. Mostly because I got the chance to see a side of Damion that I'd never seen before. He'd been funny and happy and perfect.

When he smiled it was as if he transformed into a completely different person and his laugh...wow his laugh was as infectious as it was musical. As he slung my bag over one of his shoulders and led us out the front door I felt miserable at the thought of going back home.

I wanted to stay here with him...forever.

"Just get a broom and—"

"Tate it's just a spider, it's more afraid of you than yo—"

I turned to watched Paul as he made his way toward his car. He had his phone clapped to his ears and his keys in hand.

"What do you want me to do? Fly out there just to kill one spider?"

I grinned even though I tried hard to keep it at bay.

"No, that's ridiculous. One little insect isn't gonna make me...." Paul trailed off as he got into his car and closed the door behind him.

"He's going you know."

I glanced over at Damion when he spoke and I raised my brows in surprise. "Just because of a spider?"

Damion smiled, and shook his head as he opened his door and deposited my bag onto the back seat.

"No, because he misses him." He said simply and lowered himself into the seat.

I glanced back at Paul, who was already pulling out of the yard and I wondered if Tate knew just how lucky he was.

.................

Our first stop was to some private doctor's office in a part of town I'd never been to. Damion said we had to go get tested even though we'd already had sex more than once. It seemed really important to him, but for me it wasn't a big deal. I knew I was clean because I was careful most of the time, and I got tested often enough back at the free clinic in my neighborhood. 

I knew Damion was clean too, because a guy like him was obviously really responsible, but when I told him that he didn't take it well like I thought he would. Instead, he got all upset. He told me I should never assume and that I couldn't just go around trusting people. Damion said I had to take care of myself and made me promise that I would, but I didn't think it was fair. I mean if you couldn't trust people then what was the point?

We stopped at a sex shop next, but it didn't look like any sex shop I'd ever been to. It looked nice; like one of those places where you had to wipe your feet on a mat first before you went in.

The floor was white. I think it was marble, and there were cabinets all over with glass shelves. It wasn't dark and sleazy like the ones I'd been in. This one didn't make you feel like you were doing something wrong by coming into it. It felt welcoming; like a jewelry store or something.

I would have liked to go look around and see just what they were selling on the shelves, but Damion had his hand at my lower back as he ushered me up to the counter to where an old guy stood. He was smiling when we came to stop in front of his counter and I decided I liked him already. His eyes looked kind, so I smiled back and the corners of his eyes crinkled.

"Damion, it's been awhile." He said and I looked between them in surprise.

Damion only nodded.

"I didn't realize you were still training. I heard you'd thrown in the towel for good."