Chapter 10: Control

Chapter 10

I'd been served breakfast in bed. I couldn't even remember the last time that had happened.

Cam had gone through the trouble of fixing me a large bowl of porridge, an equally large bowl of chicken noddle soup and a cheese sandwich, which came with a tall glass of orange juice and a small cup of peppermint tea. Then of course, there was the bottle of pain pills he'd found in the bathroom medicine cabinet that he'd added to the mix—incase I was feeling pain, he'd said.

Beside me, he sat with his own small tray which contained a half-eaten cheese sandwich of his own and a large mug of what I guessed to be extra-sweet coffee—with extra milk.

He watched me carefully as I ate a little bit of everything; his eyes following the spoon from the moment it left the bowl, to my mouth and back. He reminded me of Donny then; the over-protective side of my twin at least, but with Cam it was endearing and I smiled as I swallowed another spoonful of the porridge.

"Do you like it?"

The soup was salty enough to make a man worry about hypertension, the porridge was bland, the sandwich was a sandwich and the tea was too sweet, but I told him it was all delicious and he beamed at me like I'd given him the sun.

"That damn dog." I muttered when the barking on the other side of the door grew steadily louder.

"I already fed him. Maybe he just wants company."

I watched as Cam placed his cup on the side table and hopped out of bed to go rescue the puppy. It quietened the second the door opened and wagged its little bushy tail when Cam carried it onto the bed with him. I watched as the devil curled itself between Cam's legs and yawned.

"I don't know what name to choose. It has to be something he'll like since he'll have it forever."

I shook my head. "Somehow I doubt he'll mind."

Cam looked at me thoughtfully. "I didn't think you'd even like puppies."

"I don't." I told him honestly, then when he frowned, I continued; "Tell me about Master Drake."

"Master Drake?" he looked down at the dog, and ran his fingers through its fur before he met my eyes again.

"He took care of me...but I let him down, so he said..." He swallowed hard. "He said we couldn't do it anymore."

"Let him down how?"

"Cause I went and got my arm broken and dislocated my shoulder. Master Drake said I wasn't tough enough....but I learned from it." he was quick to add. "I'm not gonna let you down or anything. I swear." When I frowned, his bottom lip trembled. "I'm better this time."

My frown deepened. "How did you break your arm?"

This time he fidgeted with the edge of the covers, but said nothing. I watched him for a long time and with every passing second I could feel his discomfort grow.

"That man doesn't deserve to be a Dom." I said finally, and his eyes flashed to mine. "He was just a bad experience you had once and now it's time for you to learn from it."

His brows wrinkled. "But—"

"Do you know who's in control in a relationship like this?" I interrupted.

He nodded, looking uncertain. "You are."

I smiled. "No. You are."

"I don't understand."