When Wolves Descend (Prologue)

• Dedicated to Matthew Brown

When Wolves Descend

Written By: Cara Davis

Prologue

It was dark. That's all I could see. Darkness.

I was looking for a way out of the caves, but seemed to just be going deeper into the dark abyss.

I  have no idea why I listened to those guys outside! I should have never accepted that dare...

Ugh, like what they think actually matters to me!!... But it matters to a lot of the kids at school, so I guess it does matter to me.

"Ouch!" I yelled into the humid cave air.

Ugh stupid cave... If I could see I would avoid tripping on every little pebble, and probably find my way out of here! But No.

"No Flashlights!" Max excitedly stated...

"Yea its fun this way!" Taylor said...

Well F you! is what I say now!!...

"Finally some moonlight is shining through!"  I said aloud as I walked into a dimly lit cavern.

And that was when I saw it.

A pair of eyes, belonging to... Gulp... a Mountain Lion. Its tall, lean body was staring down at me from its perch on top of a large boulder on the opposite side of the cave. It was staring at me intently, watching my every move.

I panicked and forgot everything I had learned at summer camp about fending off wild animals. So I did the first thing I could think of, which looking back on it now was really stupid...

"Hey get out of here! You... you big mean kitty!!!" I shouted in an attempt to scare it away...

Big mean kitty? What am I five? Ugh...

"Woof, woof, woof!!" shouting like a dog now too?

Great... Add crazy onto my list of problems.

The mountain lion hopped down and slowly started to circle around me, not at all frightened by my feeble attempts to scare it away.

Crap, crap, crap!!

All of sudden it leapt at me and I dropped to the floor in hopes of dodging it...

And then...

And then... Nothing? I'm still here, still alive and in one piece. But how?

Something growls behind me. I whipped around and see not only the mountain lion but three wolves! One black at the head, and two silver flanking it. For a minute, I almost thought the four of them were going to eat me, and as soon as that thought entered my mind they attacked...

EACHOTHER!

The wolves descended on the mountain lion, the silver ones attacked his sides, while the black one fought head on. The mountain lion was tough, but the wolves seemed to be tougher. One on one the mountain lion could have won. Lucky for me it wasn't so.

They fought for what seemed like hours but was mere minutes biting, circling, and then doing it all over again. The mountain lion was surrounded. I thought he was going to die right there in front of me, mauled by the wolves, as I stood frozen.

But no. He lunged at the black wolf and.....

 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:  

Hey well, thanks for reading!

Did you vote? Noooo, so vote =)

And i do read the storys of people who fan me, and i vote and wat not =)

Well lots of <3

Cara