No One Said Living Is Easier

Vansh was feeling jittery. It had been a week since their mating and he can feel his hands shake. The need to get a bottle of alcohol was overwhelming. He closed his eyes and opened them and got up. He opened the liquor cabinet and took a bottle of whiskey. He poured it into a glass. Hale came in seeing this.

"You have been off alcohol for months now, Vansh," said Hale.

"I just need this now," said Vansh.

"This is how it starts, the rebound," said Hale

"Leave it be Hale, let me have just this one," said Vansh and was about to do just that when Hale grabbed it from his hand. In reflex, Vansh raised his hand and froze when he looked at Hale's face. Vansh turned away.

"Leave," said Vansh, in a sad tired voice.

Hale just hugged him and Vansh started crying.

"I am so sorry Baby, That will never happen again. I was about to hit you," said Vansh looking at Hale as he apologised tearfully.

"You didn't hit me and you wouldn't. I am not a hapless omega to take any hits either Vansh. Look at me," Hale held his face and helped the man onto his feet. 

"We will go running," said Hale.

"What? With my feet? It will be difficult," said Vansh.

"Yes, but we can still try. Nobody said living is easier Vansh, It is just braver than dying," said Hale.

They went running. The first day was not good. The second day was an absolute mess and still, on the third day, Vansh came looking for Hale to go running.

--------------------------------------------

Iker looked at Avadh who was asleep. The man had come in late. They had dinner together and Iker had glared him to the bed when he was about to sit with his files. They were talking now. Iker still kept him at an arm's length but was always there for Avadh as usual.

Iker had let him back in the bed on the second day, knowing that he himself would be unable to sleep when Avadh was not near and, well, he will never admit it but he hated seeing Avadh suffer even a little bit. It took him all his will power to keep a distance from the man. 

"Iker- " Avadh's hand moved to the left side searching for him.

"I am here," said Iker giving his hand to Avadh who took it.

That day when Avadh woke up, Iker was still beside him looking at him.

"Hey"

"Mmhmm, we should talk," said Iker.

"Are you leaving?," asked Avadh voicing his biggest fear for the past one week.

"Do you want me to?" asked Iker.
Avadh shook his head.

"No, Iker and I am sorr- , started Avadh.

Iker closed his mouth.

"We are going to go out and have a talk,"said Iker.

Avadh looked at him.

"You will stay?" asked Avadh.

Iker could see how much the thought worried Avadh. He would have fooled anyone, Avadh, that he was okay, that he was focussed. Even Iker was unable to see how much it affected Avadh which was an achievement in itself from Avadh's part in concealing his worries.

Iker had not wanted to give that sort of an impression. Iker sighed and hesitated only one second before placing his hand on Avadh's hair, a small smile on his face.

"I am not leaving my home just because you get tetchy or because I am angry with you," said Iker.

Iker reached upto Avadh's ear and said "You, My Alpha is infallible. I don't like to hear you apologise."

"I have proved I am fallible didn't I? I have cheated you off love, affection, care, attention- everything one expects from a mate," said Avadh, guilt marring his face.

"Yes, for your- for our people, not for some random lover. Your love for people makes you a better man that I can ever dream to be. I am selfish. My primary concerns begins with you and ends with our family. I won't leave you for anything or anyone. I can't. I am incapable of it at this point," said Iker.

"I wouldn't blame you though, you deserve the best of everything. And, why would I go looking for anything when I have everything here in my arms," asked Avadh a small smile on his face.

"Why would I when I have the best here?" asked Iker.

"I lied, I would kill anyone who dares to touch you or try and take you away from me," said Avadh.

"I would kill them too," said Iker, his hand around Avadh's shoulder.

"You did hear what I told Aldera, it is true. I- I will cease to exist if anyone other than you try to have me," said Iker.

Avadh looked at Iker.

"Do you regret it?"

"No. How can I regret it when I have your utter devotion," asked Iker.

Avadh smiled and searched Iker's face as he lowered his lips. Iker's hand reached up to hold the man's hair as they kissed.

"We should talk, shouldn't we?" asked Avadh.

Iker smiled and blushed a bit as he nodded.

___________________

Avadh looked at Iker who was buying them sweetcorn from the local vendor. Avadh took it and they walked.

"I - I really did think you wouldn't come that day. I , I - You gave me a family and then you were always there- I was getting secure when you suddenly stopped talking. I was feeling guilty too. They were all killed because you were not here and I- I am the reason why you were not here and then when you just stopped saying anything- I thought you blamed me," said Iker.

Avadh placed his hand around Iker and held him in his arms.

"It was not your mistake. Never blame yourself for it. I blamed myself, I could have stayed back, but Iker I learned one thing from this whole ordeal. We are all selfish people. I - It could be treachery to my land atleast in words, but- Iker, you- nothing comes before you," said Avadh and Iker leaned onto his side.

"I know. I knew when you came there that day," said Iker placing his hand around Avadh's stomach,placing his head below the man's neck as they walked.

Avadh pressed a kiss on Iker's forehead.

___________

What do you think?