Second Best

Avadh had mixed feelings about a silent Iker. He had asked the maids to pack his things. Avadh had brought most of Ahem's stuff.

Iker was silent, too silent. He was not talking to anyone other than Avadh. He had kept his doors closed to stop anyone from entering.

Iker was sitting before the mirror. He was looking at the family mark that he has to the side of his forehead. His mind was too calm. He was feeling nothing.

"It is time," said Avadh.

Iker got up and Avadh watched as he removed the family insignia. Avadh watched as the family symbol burned from his skin.

They stepped down. Everyone was looking at them. Iker was standing behind Avadh. He was trying to get them all to leave him alone. But Cristian hugged him. Iker waited until the man pulled away and walked off. Iker did not even look at anyone elses face.

He stopped before Xavier and Acer.

"Thank you for everything, kids," said Iker and then he went off and waited inside Avadh's car. Avadh nodded to all.

"Take care of him, will you?" asked Cristian.

Avadh nodded and walked out looking at Ahem one more time.

Avadh sat down next to Iker. However, the long journey that followed was completely silent. Iker did not even move his face away from the window.

Avadh can feel his distress. But Iker was maintaining such a flat face that he did not raise the question at all.

Avadh stiffened when he felt a weight on his shoulder. Iker was asleep. His head was now resting on Avadh's shoulder. Iker's hair fell over his face. Avadh couldn't deny that his mate is beautiful. He didn't mind giving him a shoulder. So he placed a hand around his mate who buried himself a little closer to Avadh's neck.

He knew it was not fair to Iker to tell him that he will always come second. But that was the truth and he had to know it.

Iker was dreaming. He saw a garden, he saw Avadh and he liked this dream. This was good. They were smiling and Iker was looking at the man fully enveloped in his arms and Avadh was smiling too.

A slight jerk during the landing woke Iker. He realised he was sleeping atop his mate. He also felt the arm around him. Iker opened his eyes and looked at Avadh who looked at him. 

"I am not a damsel in distress," said Iker.

"I sure as hell know you are no damsel, Iker," said Avadh.

Iker did not move, needing the scent and smell to settle. Once he felt a bit better, he sat up.

"So, what made you change your mind?" asked Avadh

"None of your business," said Iker looking away.

"If you say so," said Avadh.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Iker felt a wave of familiarity as they reached the land of Manovar. Somehow he felt stronger. Once they stepped down, Iker was feeling better and better. He felt home. Even after achieving everything, he had never felt at home anywhere before. This, right here was his home and he could feel it.

The car sped past the woods. 

"Welcome to Manovar, Iker" said Avadh

Iker nodded. He was still looking outside. 

They could see the looming palace even from kilometres away.

"And that is where I live," said Avadh.

It was five times the size of his own pack house.

"How many people live there?" asked Iker.

"Close to 50. But the palace also has my office for the public, servant quarters, gym, pools, almost anything you will want under the sky" said Avadh

"None of it can buy me, king," said Iker.

Avadh snorted.

"I am aware," he said.

"200 people used to live there before the big riot twenty years before," said Avadh

Iker nodded. He has heard of the big riots. He was way too young then. 

"Who all do you have here ?" asked Iker.

"My mom, my brothers, sister in law, niece, uncles, aunts and cousins," said Avadh

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,

Iker loved the place. It was beautiful. Once they stopped outside the palace, Iker followed Avadh out. Iker could feel the eyes on him. A new wolf in the pack land is always a strange sight. And he is arriving with the King.

Iker looked up. He saw everyone bow except for a woman in her mid 60's. That must be the Mother.

Avadh looked at Iker. His mother came to their side.

"Meet Iker Maximiliano De Russe, Ma. He is my mate," said Avadh leading to gasps and squeals and a few snorts, both from Avadh's brothers. He can sense them as family.

"Only you brother would end up with the fiercest alpha out there as your mate, serves you right," said a man who stood closer to their mother.

"We will cause revolution now," said another.

Avadh just shook his head and looked at Iker.

"Iker, this is Vansh, my younger brother, he said pointing to the first man.

Then he nodded to the next guy- "This is Viraat, also my younger brother," he said.

"Hey I am Arav, the King's brother and this is my mate and wife Piya and daughter Tara", said another brother.

"This is Atrey, the youngest, " said Avadh pointing to the boy who smiled and then turned to his mother.

"This is my Ma as you might already have guessed," he said and Iker folded his hands and greeted her like he had seen Avadh greet his father.

She smiled and placed her hand on both of them and smiled.

"Finally," she said and led them both inside.

"Now go, freshen up and be back in an hour for dinner," said Ma and both nodded. Iker followed Avadh up to his suite.

"I have this entire wing. If in case you need more rooms, you can ask Ma," he said.

They reached the room. The walls were blank. It had nothing personal in there, nothing. It seemed as if the room had a temporary lodger.

Iker sighed. His mate had issues.