Chapter Twenty-Seven

Kimberly’s POV

Standing at the door is my mother, with a clenched jaw and a rigid shoulders. Fear spikes my spine and I stand and in attention. With an elongated red face and lips in the shape of an ‘o’ Becky is frozen. My mother stands firm examining the situation with spectacle and disappointed eyes. Cowering back I cover my skin. I can’t even think as a powerful rush of blood intoxicates my head. Dizzily I stare at her cold and dull brown eyes, they sink back as she approaches the two of us.

Picking Becky’s coat of the rack she throws it at her. “Becky, its cold out, you should probably put on a coat.” Absolutely disgusted and disappointed she stares daggers into Becky as she puts on her coat. Scared and dumbfounded Becky hurries to put on her clothes. Becky stands at the front door with glossy eyes begging me to come with her, but I shake her off.

“Kimberly you should put something on yourself.” She takes a seat looking away from me. I’m not worth her sight anymore.

“Yes mama.” Obediently I follow her command.  

Shaking her head she looks away from me. “I really hoped I didn’t have to find out this way.”

I want to apologize to her, but I don’t have the willpower. Keeping my head down I listen to what she has to say.

“After that Chinese girl I thought you grew out of.” her lips turn up unpleasantly. “this.” Humiliated, she turns her back to me.

“She was Korean and besides we were just friends.” Because of my self-defense shoots me one of the nastiest eyes one can ever imagine.

“The way you talked about her nonstop. Every time I called you she was there or you were going to meet her.” With a screwed up face she looks down at me. “I told your father something was wrong with you but he never listened to me.” She talks about me as if I have a disease. A horrible sickening incurable one, which am going to die as a result of.

Like bobble head I shake my head nonstop. “This isn’t what you think, mama.” On my knees I approach with hot tears rolling down my face. I reach out to touch her. If I touch her maybe she will feel my pain and forgive me. Without delay she snaps the furthest away from me as possible. 

“Do I look like a jackass to you Kimberly? YES! I AM OLD, BUT I AM NOT STUPID.” Her restraints are loosened and she explodes. “For Christ stakes I am a biology professor I know how faggots have sex! I have a nose, which works perfectly well. I also have eyes that can see. You-she-her hand-urgh-” she pulls at her salt and pepper hair.

“I’m sorry mama.” I plead. My sincere act inexplicably sets her into a sporadic frenzy.

“DON’T CALL ME THAT!” she hollers. “DO NOT CALL ME THAT EVER AGAIN” Her words slash my soul. Torn in half I fall to the floor. With arm and legs spread open on the floor I express my distress in tear after tear.

“After all I did for you. After everything I have done for you. For years I struggled to raise and this is what you are doing to me.” Grabbing at her clothes near her chest area she sobs. “I sacrificed so much for you.  I could have abandoned you like Donte’s mother. I didn’t have to care for you. I could have been like any other women and aborted so I could have pursued my career as doctor. I didn’t have to marry your father and content for the life of a plumbers wife’s.” she is unsteady, to stabilize herself she places her trembling hands on the arm of the chair. “I even gave up my love for you.”

“I’m sorry.” I whimper, feeling absolutely worthless.

She sniffles and she wipes her eyes. “So how did she possess you to fall in love with her?”