12.The Heartless Tyrant

I had always been an avid reader, and since the attack it had become my favorite past time. So stepping into an opulent room filled with thousands of books, the scent of ink and old paper enveloping me, was borderline euphoric.

The library was massive, rectangular in shape. The first thing I noticed was the high beige ceiling, a large mural in the center. Cherubs, horses and men with wings in clouds, bits of blue sky peeking through. The back wall was made up almost entirely of windows, red curtains on either side. Both short walls were covered in bookshelves, filled to the brim, extending to the second floor balcony. Which wrapped around each wall, other than the windows, the balustrade made up of artistically twisted metal.

Wainscotting and paneling covered the wooden walls that were free from books on the floor level. The feature of the room was a grand fireplace that jutted out from the main wall. The mantle was a few shades darker than the walls, ornate detailing and statues making up the piece. Above the fireplace held a painting, more godly men dressed in gold tunics. Where the fireplace extended out, the balcony ran through the back of it, creating a little room.

The floor was dark polished wood, my shoes tapping lightly. A seating area in front of the fireplace consisted of red velvet couches and seats, a rug under a coffee table. Sconces and candelabras lit the room, as well as the natural light filtering in through the wall of windows. A huge desk sat in front of the glass, behind the seating area, books hazardously strewn across the surface. Other small pieces of furniture decorated the room, each piece obviously expensive.
A group of vampires occupied the seating area, including the King and Queen, all dressed in finery. Valerie and Anna stood awkwardly at the desk, the only people who weren't vampires. The sight of them caused my mouth to twist, still feeling betrayed. Even they wore nice dresses, although significantly more simple than the vampires.

Madeline and I slowed a few feet from the congregation, with me still marveling at the room. I turned, hearing her sharp inhale, following her gaze to the corner of the room.

It was a spiral staircase leading to the second floor, iron and wood. But it was the man that sat on them, halfway up. He was a vampire, dressed neat but casual, his buttoned shirt sleeves rolled till his elbows, paired with dress pants. His head was ducked into a book, but feeling our stares he sat up, his gaze landing on Madeline. His expression didn't change, just looked her up and down. That must have been Mathias.

He looked more suited to a runway than a library. He had honey colored hair, short at the sides and longer on the top, an angular, sharp face, and a slim build. I could see why Madeline liked him. After a few seconds his gaze flicked to me before returning to his book.

I turned to the petite maid next to me, grinning. She was blushing, her head ducked in embarrassment. I coughed away a laugh, gaining attention. Her chocolate colored eyes wide and doe like, innocent. She fidgeted, brushing her hands down her uniform, pressing out the wrinkles.

"I'm gonna, um go to the kitchen. My mom needs help. I'll find you later." She fled from the room, the door closing behind her. I turned back, the grimoire tucked under my arm.

Valerie and Anna stared at me, the older woman's eyes wide, apologetic. I turned away, meeting the Queen's disapproving glare. She looked me up and down, taking in my attire.

"Lords and Ladies, this is the...the hybrid, Regina." Celeste announced to the group, her nose turned up. 5 pairs of eyes turned to me, except the vampire on the staircase. 3 women and 2 men, all ranging in age and appearance. An older man with dark hair and a crazy mustache, slightly plump. A woman with graying and wrinkly skin, that looked suspiciously like the Queen of England. Next to her on the couch was another woman, dyed green hair cropped close to her head, who looked like she'd jumped straight out of a fairytale. On the last couch sat a man and woman, both had caramel skin and green eyes. Siblings, maybe even twins. I smiled awkwardly and sat in a chair, Anna following suit across from me, trying to catch my gaze.