day thirteen

☹☹☹

i put my book down and peeked over at ellie, she frowned to herself and let out a sigh

"ellie?" i said softly, "you okay?"

she shook her head, and scooted closer to me resting her head on my shoulder.

"i've been thinking about my ex, ashton." she said, the frown still on her face.

i gulped, "do you mind if i ask - i mean, uh" i was a loss of words a habit i had if i was nervous.

she looked up at me, her green eyes looking dull, they were usually so bright and beautiful.

"it's okay, we um - he was abusive." she said quietly,

"oh, are you okay now? i mean did he hurt you again?" i asked,

she sent me a small smile, "i'm okay, i ran away a week after we broke up."

i returned the smile and nodded in reply.

"i hope he never finds me, i was always so scared of him but i could never build the courage to tell the cops i knew he would do something horrible to me." she said, biting her lip.

"he'll never hurt you, i promise. i'll protect you from him, i'm always gonna be here when you need me." i said then held her hand lacing our fingers together she seemed tense at first but then calmed down a bit.

the silence was bearable, and it was quite calming. having her head rest on my shoulder, her soft hands in mine, it was something that i wanted to last forever.

"michael?" she said softly, not looking up at me

i hummed in reply, and she lifted her head up our hands still laced together.

"what's that one thing that keeps you sane?" she asked,

"keeps me sane?" i repeated,

"like, the reason you're calm and happy, the thing that keeps you from going insane." she explained, brushing a strand of purple hair out of her face.

i pursed my lips and looked at her, her pale blue eyes staring into mine as she waited for an answer.

"you're the only reason,"