Falling in Love Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Andy

I receive a message from Gillian in the middle of 7th period, and it says:

Hey there, pretty. You sure you don’t need a ride later?

You see, there’s a fine line between flirting and trying to be nice. But when you add some form of endearment, it definitely isn’t only about trying to be nice. I am subtle when it comes to entertaining this kind of stuff mostly because I don’t want the idea of dating to be some kind of clichéd necessity because I’m a teenager. It’s not that I don’t welcome it, it’s just that I want it to work out, and I don’t want it to feel rushed.

I’ve dated three guys before but it didn’t really get any serious. This boy I dated in 10th grade thought I was very fastidious and frank and when I asked him whether he even know what fastidious mean, he said ‘that’s exactly why I don’t think we could work’. The other boys I’ve dated think I’m overly emotional and insensitive. So I think the fatal flaw in that was, they never get to know me very well and vice versa. It would save me the trouble if it were not to happen with Gillian, too.

I type in a reply to Gillian’s message.

Me: Yeah, I’m good. But thanks again for asking. PS: You’re not supposed to text in class.

Gillian: So are you. See you there at 4:30? ;)

I wait for the dismissal bell before I reply back an easy ‘Yeah, see you.’

Uncle Roderick’s is not normally packed in the morning, but it sure is in the afternoon. I arrived at 4:40 and received a message from Gillian that he’s already gotten a table inside. When I step inside the café, all the tables are occupied. My gaze instinctively looks for the bronze-haired boy. He’s sitting on the far end of the coffee shop with a little girl beside him.

I feel a smile forming on the corners of my lips. When I reach the table, Gillian and the little girl are in the middle of playing arm wrestling.

“Hey, Andy!” Gillian beams. His stiffened arm goes slack.

“Beat you!” says the little girl.

“Sorry I’m a little late.” I apologize and slide in to the chair opposite him and the little girl. I grin at her and hold out my hand, “Hi, I’m Andy.”

She reaches for my hand, her tiny hands gripping mine as though showing off her strength, “I know. My name is Vicky. And Gillian’s told me a lot about you.” Vicky has bronze her too, just a little darker than Gillian’s. She has moss green eyes like her brother’s which I’ve only really noticed now. They look unmistakably alike.

“Is that true?” I turn to Gillian.

“Well not a lot really. Technically, it’s the first time we’re hanging out. I hope you don’t mind,” he gestures to Vicky, “I’m babysitting.”