Falling in Love Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Andy

The first day of school at North is usually a light routine. Homeroom, syllabus, lunch, first day of school battle of the bands at Frederick's grill. I've gone to every battle of the bands event at Frederick's ever since I was a freshman and it’s mostly because half of the bands play alternative rock. Today, I kind of miss looking forward to this day ender event. Cece suggested picking me up after school so we could go to Frederick's but I declined her invitation. Dad won't mind I'm sure but I kind of wanted to stay home after school.

The first day of school at South is different. My homeroom teacher discussed a couple of rules and regulations we should follow, which I'm sure no one listened to then played The Beatles song for the rest of the period. The bell rings and he sends us off.

My first class is AP Calculus and I have to stop by the lockers to retrieve my books. When I arrive at the lockers three girls are looking at me as though they're sizing me up. I'm wearing a red and white plaid shirt over a navy tank and my favorite faded skinny jeans. I noticed that more than half of the population of girls in this school wears miniskirts and cropped tanks that reveal as much skin as they can. They look like those actresses on MTV. I wonder what the principal says about that. It's either there’s no established clothing regulation or the faculty had grown too tired to remind everyone of clothing ethics. I don't really care about those rules anyway. The girls are still looking at me when I slam my locker shut. Normally, I would know better and ignore them. I know girls like them do this kind of thing to new faces. But I’ve been feeling really anxious since I woke up this morning, which means I would pretty much be peevish and jumpy the whole day.

I stare the girls down. "Can I help you?" I say.

"You're new, aren't you?" One of them says.

"Which part of Texas did you come from?" The one in the middle smirks. Her blonde hair is pulled back in a high ponytail like a cheerleader's. Not to be overly stereotypical, but by the looks of it they must be cheerleaders.

"Actually I spent my whole life in this town." I can't waste my time on this people. I take a long stride, avoiding their looming figures completely but it seems like they wouldn't let me go. Why did I give them that stare?

"You look like you can use some introduction. I'm Bree," says the blonde cheerleader. "This is Sheena," she points to the girl on her right, the one with the curly hair and tanned skin. She looks sunburned. "And this is Anastacia." Her hand goes to her left side introducing the smallest girl, who's perhaps a feet or two smaller than I am. They look at me expectantly.

"It's nice to meet the three of you. I'm going to be late for my next class." I say.

I rush to get pass them but Anastacia touches my shoulder which made me stop abruptly and look back. "You better not get in our way new girl." She says.

Wow. That was like a Mean Girls scene come to life. I definitely do not plan on encountering these Queen Bees again.

At lunch, I pick up a chicken salad sandwich, an apple, and an orange juice from the food counter and proceed to find an empty seat. I do not plan on sitting alone the whole school year. But it's easier and safer to keep my head down today. I down the sandwich in five minutes and start to put on my earphones when a boy with brown hair and slightly narrow eyes sit in front of me. He looks Asian. He looks like a nerd and it had me thinking to myself if this day could get any better. It's so coincidental being approached by the leader of the nerd group after my encounter with the cheerleaders.  I would chastise myself for being so stereotypical later, but right now I just love how movie-like my day is going.