Chapter 23

-1799-

A week after my sister's paid their visit they had to return home. Angelica and Eliza were living together again until Angelica and her husband could find a house in the city. Peggy, on the other hand, returned to her home in South Carolina. Angelica and Eliza always visited to make sure that the children and I were doing okay.

It's been two years since the pamphlet and Alexander and I have remained the same. We've talked small conversations but they were only about things like the children. I've also let him sleep in the bed again. I felt like he had slept in his office for long enough, but I've not forgiven him completely yet.

The day had been passing by very slowly and it felt like the sun would never start to set. I was in the middle of reading a new book I had bought when James walked into the living room holding a letter.

"Mom there's a letter for you."

I took the letter from his hand and opened it.

"Thank you dear."

Dearest sister,

I don't know if you have yet heard this from our family but I have fallen ill. I am writing this letter to inform you that I am moving back to New York to stay with our family. I have seen a doctor here in South Carolina and they fear that whatever I have might become deadly. By the time you get this letter, I should already be home with our father and sisters. I would love to see you again, so if you have the time, please visit.

Your sister, Peggy.

I didn't know what to think, my little sister was sick and she could possibly die. She still has a whole life to live. I looked down at James and he was waiting for me to speak.

"James where is your father?"

"He's upstairs."

I walked through the house making my way to the front door. I noticed that James was following me.

"Mom where are you going?"

"Aunt Peggy isn't feeling well. So I have to go to grandpa's house to see her."

He understood the situation and he hugged me tightly. He ran off and I heard someone coming down the stairs, I looked up to see Alexander. He saw me opening the door and he rushed to my side.

"(Y/N) please don't leave. If I made you mad again I'm sorry."

I looked up at him and his eyes met mine.

"I'm not leaving for good. Peggy is back home and it's not for a good reason. I'm just going to go see her."

I then left my house and I started to walk down the street. I kept walking until I found someone with an empty carriage.

"Excuse me, would you mind giving me a ride to the Schuyler residence?"

The man nodded his head and he opened the door to the carriage. As the ride continued I kept thinking about what would happen to Peggy. What would happen if she did die? I don't think any of us would be the same without her.

The carriage finally stopped and I paid the man for the ride. I ran up to the door and I knocked until my father answered. He looked worried and unsettled. So I ran into his arms and I hugged him.

"Is she going to be okay dad?"

"She's not doing well right now. But we're hoping that she'll make it through."

I pulled away and I looked up at him.

"Where is she?"

He stepped around me and closed the door, "In her room."