Chapter 23

Kayla watched as the male swimmers of Clancy and the girls from Grandview filled up the pool deck. They looked bigger, faster, stronger, and probably even better.

The Haven boys and the girls of the Sorority won't stand a chance.

She shivered. The meet was already underway.

Kayla sat on the bench and took out her white chrome goggles.

You've been loyal to me, little friend, she thought, smiling down at them.

She's practiced for this day since forever. Tears, blood, and sweat didn't matter now.

She found Amber listening to her iPod near the lockers.

"Hey," Kayla nudged her.

Amber nodded and put her iPod away. "Hey. You nervous?"

"A little."

"Don't be. I heard they sucked balls."

"Amber, the girls look like she-men! They look like they know what they're doing!"

"Trust me, you'll do fine."

"Event #7 Girls 100 Freestyle," the official announced.

"That's you," Amber patted Kayla's back. "Good luck."

Kayla walked over to the deck and capped herself.

Don't fail me now, she told her goggles.

She looked over at the other competitors with her. They looked like they were capable of killing.

"Swimmers up on the starting blocks," the official said through the mic.

Kayla got up and arched her back. She stared at her lane and blew out air. Now's the defining moment of truth. There's no running away, and she was her own worse enemy.

Come on, Kayla, she thought. It's just you and that long strip of blue.

"On your marks.. beep!"

Kayla's skinny muscular legs sprang from the starting block. She entered the water and watched the blue disperse around her.

~~~~~~~~

Kayla surfaced, gasping for air, and taking off her goggles and cap.

Thanks, little friend, she winked at her goggles.

"And 3rd place, Kayla Reagan Lane 2!"

3rd place? Never mind, that didn't matter. At least she had a slot on the podium.

Kayla retreated to the locker rooms after braving a hail of high-fives. She closed the door and breathed. She did it. But her muscles ached like shit. It hurt so bad, and she couldn't even move.

"Awwwwww," she moaned, stretching her shoulders in pain.

"Woah, looks like you're havin' trouble there."

Kayla whirled around so fast she could've developed whip lash. "What the heck are YOU doing here?" she demanded.

It was Dean He was leaning against the door, smirking.

"Let me help you-"

Kayla turned her back to him so he wouldn't see her blush.

"-NO! Get out of here! Shouldn't you be with your own team? This is a girl's bathroom- awww hawww...." she jumped in surprise as she felt cold hands caress her shoulders. Her muscles smoothed and her bones buckled back into alignment.

"What are you doing?" Kayla asked rudely.

"Helping.. now quiet."Dean's hands were as smooth as silk, and they massaged her shoulder blades.

Dean still had his hands on her.

"I think you should go," Kayla murmured.

He laughed in that light husky voice. When he didn't stop, she darted over to the door.

"I'm leaving-"

"-wait!" He grabbed onto her wrists and she turned to look at him impatiently.

"What?"

What happened couldn't prepare her at all.

Dean touched her chin and tilted her face upwards. He started kissing her, and before Kayla knew, she was kissing him back.

The sound of a clatter of pills filled the bathroom. Kayla whipped around to look.

Amber was there sitting in the corner, and she was holding a capsule, her eyes wide open.

"Oh my God. I'm so sorry," she said ruefully.

"Amber," Dean breathed. "You... you didn't see anything."

"Oh I saw," Amber said.

Kayla ignored her and stared at the girl in horror.

"Amber," she said seriously. "What the heck are you holding?"

Amber didn't answer. She hid the capsule behind her back.

"Am," Dean repeated. "What are you holding?"

Kayla strode over to Amber and grabbed the capsule out of her hands.

"Portable Anabolics?!" she asked in disbelief. "Amber! Do you understand the consequences of having these?!This is illegal!"

Amber snatched it away from Kayla, who said, "I have to tell coach."

"Please don't tell," she said softly. "Or... or I'll tell everyone about HIM." she nodded towards Dean. It WAS really disgraceful to make out with the opposing team.

Kayla flinched for a moment. Then,

"Amber, I have to-"

"Kayla, don't! We'll ALL get in trouble. If they found out about him being in here and me with the pills, they'll kick us off the team."

"Am, don't," Dean said. "Am, please, I know you so well."

"Obviously not well enough," she said quietly.

Kayla sighed. "Amber, you better put that away in 5 seconds or I'll tell."

Amber gratefully put the pill capsule into her bag and smiled.

"Our little secret?"

Kayla looked into her blue eyes.

"Our little secret."