Epilogue

The wake.

Why was it called a wake? She was asleep the whole time. She wasn't going to "wake" anytime soon.

Vanessa sighed and ran a hand through her wavy brown hair. Her black dress was snug on her volleyball player's body and looked amazing. Even she had to admit that.

But not now.

She walked over to the casket, where her late best friend who was once warm and lively was now lying... cold and dead.

M had to do something with this. There was no other explanation. There was no way that Daniel guy that Meredith was seeing had anything to do with her death. He was still drowning himself in his own tears over his late girlfriend's body.

Vanessa stopped dead in her tracks. Why hadn't Meredith ever mention this guy?

Hesitantly, she gathered up all of her confidence and walked towards Daniel.

"Hi," she said, tapping the boy's shoulder. He glanced up at her and dried his eyes, not wanting to look ridiculous. "You're Daniel, right?"

"Yeah," he said with a cute southern drawl. "Vanessa?" She blinked, shocked he knew her. He must have noticed this, because he said, "Meredith told me about you and two other girls. I figured you were Vanessa by the way you look."

"What do you mean?" She wasn't sure whether she should be offended or not.

"In a good way," he chuckled. She smiled. The two of them walked over to a bench in the church and sat down.

"How are you coping?" Vanessa dared to ask.

"Better than I expected, which is saying something... I haven't passed out, so I'm okay. You?"

"Shocked," she admitted. "I'm shocked. I don't know what to do, where to go, who to talk to, when, how... That stuff."

"Well, you're talking to me. That's a start."

"True. But, I think I'm just avoiding Meredith's parents." She glanced over to the Evers', who were gathered around Meredith's mother, who was on the floor screaming.

"Me too," Daniel admitted. "We could always go up together."

"That's not such a good idea. They never really liked me."

"They never met me, so that works." The two of them laughed and Daniel looked around. "What's my uncle doing here?"

"Your uncle?" Vanessa asked, furrowing her eyebrows.

"Yeah. You'd never guess it. We don't even look alike."

"Well, let me meet him!"

"Sure. Come on." The two of them stood and Daniel pulled her off to his uncle. As he did so, she looked at Meredith's coffin.

Velvet like her voice, cold like her body, but not nearly as alive as her spirit.

"Uncle Eric. I'd like you to meet my girlfriend's friend, Vanessa."

"Hey, Danny boy," a familiar voice said. Vanessa spun around and came face-to-face with-

"Mr. Drew?" He watched her carefully and caught her when she lost her balance. "Oh, my God. I didn't know-"

"Vanessa. You're here. But-"

"Why are you-"

"I was Meredith's teacher. Her parents invited me. What about you?"

"I was a member of her sorority."

"So, you two were close?"

"Very." She tucked her hair behind her ear and felt her eyes begin to water. "I have to go... Nice meeting you Daniel. Bye, Mr. Drew."

Vanessa took off. Her friends saw her and followed her to the front of the church.

"Vanessa!" Elizabeth said. "We saw you with Mr. Drew and Daniel and you just took off. What happened?"

"I can't handle it!" Vanessa cried, something she'd only done three times in front of her friends. This was her fourth time. "I just... I can't!"

"What are you talking about?" Kayla asked.

"All the blackmail and secrets and death. It's overwhelming!"

"Blackmail?" Amber whispered.

"You mean, you've been getting those too?" Amelia asked.

Vanessa looked at her behind her long lashes. "Wait. You mean-"

"M?" Julia finished.

"Me too," Analyse confirmed.

At that moment, all ten girls received a text.

Vanessa, Kayla, Amelia, Elizabeth, Noelle, Julia, Analyse, Amber, and Cecilia pulled out their phones.

"This isn't over," Cecelia read.

"I know all of your secrets," Amber continued.

"And if you tell a single soul," Analyse scanned.

"I'll tell the whole world everything that I know," Julia said.

"Keep your mouths shut," Noelle spoke.

"Or your lives will be gone," Elizabeth cried.

"Just like your friend, Meredith's," Amelia mumbled.

"Watch your backs, bitches," Kayla concluded.

Vanessa looked at the last part of the message and was barely able to let the words fall from her mouth.

"M."