Chapter NINETEEN

✖️The Worst Kind of Wonderful✖️

"People are like stained - glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within."

-Elizabeth Kuber-Ross

Chapter Nineteen~

"Xander, what the hell happened?" I collapsed to the floor where he was slumped, eyelids pressed together and wrinkling like fabric.

"I don't know," he breathed, his voice soft though he sounded annoyed at his own lack of knowledge. "The other hunters... They know something, some of the Greyson cousins cornered me and tried to attack, I fought back but didn't want to kill another of..." He coughed, clutching the left side side of his torso which had been slashed with a blade of some sort and was now releasing fine streams of burgundy. A light went off in my head: Greyson, that was the family my attacker in the woods belonged to. Trying to ease my racing thoughts I focused on Alexander. Up close I could see his bruised jaw and the grazes on his knuckles from fighting. Green eyes were lined pink from exhaustion and his hair held pieces of grass and dead leaves from his journey.

"Wait here, one second," I ordered throwing a shirt, that had hung over my bedroom door, his way. "Put pressure on that cut." My thoughts were everywhere, the typically slow moving life that I had come to know had found it's way onto a roller coaster ride that wouldn't stop.

Picking up my phone I searched through my contacts wondering who could help me in this kind of situation. After a moment of hesitation I hit the call button and let it ring. A trilling sound echoed in my ears, seconds felt like hours but finally, "hello?"

"Hey Hannah? I need your help."

"Yeah sure, what's up?" Her voice was honey, always just a little bit too sweet for my comfort but genuine none the less.

"Can you come over?"

"Now? Why?"

"I can't exactly say over the phone," I ran a hand through knotted hair and leaned against the doorframe.

"Are you okay Mia?" She sounded concerned and I knew she would tell someone if I didn't feed her some kind of a story.

"An old friend, a human, got into a fight with some guys in the woods and he's injured. I need your expertise to help heal him without letting anyone know I let a human onto our land without permission." I was half lying but somehow I wasn't phased, I needed Hannah's help and couldn't risk anything.

"I'll be right over, let me just get my things together."

"Okay, and Hannah?"

"Yeah?"

"Please don't tell anyone," I hammered the seriousness of the situation into her head.

"I won't Mia, I promise."

"Thank you," and that was that.

Without skipping a beat I hit the "end call" button and made my way back into my bedroom. He was something to look at even in that state but I tried to ignore that fact, which was made more difficult with my wolf's calling: her voice a mix of sadness and longing. Most of my more romantic feelings, had been hushed to avoid conflict at such a serious time but they still lingered. "Let me help you. You shouldn't be sitting like that, you should lay down."

"I'm fine." He protested, but the way his body was contorted against where my bedroom floor and wall met couldn't have been healthy.

"Please, let me help," I pleaded with him letting confusion and desperation seep into my words.