Chapter SIX

✖️The Worst Kind of Wonderful✖️

"Only enemies speak the truth;

friends and lovers lie endlessly,

caught in the web of duty."

― Stephen King

Chapter Six~

"I..." I started, eyes darting around the room in search of an escape. Just then the quiet murmuring of distant birds through our wood and glass case of a home, were drowned; choked out by vibration.

My phone sat upon the table, glowing like a holy thing. An object of salvation, and that's exactly what it was. 'Knowledge is power and if shared too much can be destruction.' I remembered my grandmother warning when she was still alive. I could almost picture a younger me with my ear pressed up against the wall late at night trying to eavesdropping on the woman giving my own mother a lecture. I needed to keep my secret guarded, especially from those I cared for the most. I picked up the quivering device and pressed its cool surface to the curve of my ear.

"Hello?" My voice reflected my relief like a perfect mirror, causing Andrea to raise her eyebrow in accusation.

"Mia! It's Belle, I've tried texting you all day." She sounded worried and I wondered where she was now, and more importantly if she knew about the meeting.

"Oh, sorry the volume was turned off for the meeting and I forgot. What's up?" I tried to keep my tone light but the tension in the room was so thick that I felt my lungs ached at the pressure.

"I heard what happened, are you okay? I'm so sorry about my mom."

"It's not her fault, she was doing her job and she didn't even find me guilty of anything." I sighed, finally feeling the entirety of my exhaustion. "It's the Worth's that I'm worried about."

"Yeah, I heard that Zak beat the crap out of Shane afterwards." She laughed and my mouth opened in silent shock. "It must have been crazy, Zak broke his arm and Shane's face was messed up pretty bad from what Hannah Glass said, it happened right outside her house on Main Street, I also heard that Shane hit his head and has been loopy from all the pain meds Doctor Alvi had to give him."

"That's awful!"

"No no they're fine", she insisted. The sound of a door opening came through the line and the busy fog of the main square's sounds echoed around her. "No one used silver or anything so they'll be healed by tomorrow."

"Well that's good I guess. Hey Belle?"

"Yeah?"

"We need to talk face to face sometime really soon."

"Why? Is it something involving your- uh, 'friend' from the woods?" She whispered in a barely audible breath so no one could hear through the line.

"Yeah, I think I know who- or uh, what said topic of discussion is. We can't talk about it now though, come by tomorrow."

"Holy-" she muttered under her breath, "okay, well I guess I'll see you then."

~*~

I woke up the next morning to an ache in my chest. It was a slow creeping hollowness that cut deep beneath my ribs. My wolf was hurt, she needed her mate and I knew that every day we weren't with him the pain would intensify. It was the most persistent yet subtle agony I had ever experienced and it made me want to curl up into a ball and go back to sleep, but the neon digits on my alarm clock forced me to decide against the temptation of escape. I thought about that word as it passed through my mind. Escape. I wanted-needed even- to escape, but when I thought of leaving my family the pain in my chest doubled. My parents and Andrea couldn't bare my absence just as I couldn't bare their's especially after losing Lacy.