The Worst Kind of Wonderful

"Love will find a way

through paths where

wolves fear to

prey."

-Lord Byron

Chapter One~

The forest around me blended into a kaleidoscope of color as I ran. The vibrant red of cardinals that dodged trees as they flew, the wide array of leaves that glowed silver in the moonlight, and the black and brown patches of fur that raced by my side. We were on the hunt. Cutting through the air on a mission for blood. On a mission to destroy rogues that the elders had deemed dangerous. It was a battle of domination as we fought for our new alpha's approval and fought for the position of beta after the wolf who used to fill the spot retired without an heir to replace him.

None of us were sure who this new alpha was. Only that he was one of our old alpha; Samuel Winters', sons. There were three possible werewolves that could be leading us into battle. Thomas Winters; the eldest son who never found any interest in training but had a natural political ability, the second eldest (and my childhood best friend) Zak Winters who had the greatest natural ability but refused to hurt a fly, or the youngest; Cole Winters, who had trained harder than either of his brothers and had a natural instinct to kill that awed and terrified even at his current age of sixteen.

If only I could claw my way to the front, I could at least eliminate Zak as a possible candidate. I had seen him in his wolf form many times and it would be easy to spot him among the rest; with his ebony fur that blended with two startling white and dark grey patches that curved along his back in a single jagged line.

I was about to make an attempt to weave through the others to reach our mysterious new leader when something caught my attention. The slightest crinkling of dead leaves under weight. I slowed and a few of the wolves around me stopped and sent looks of confusion my way, most of them continuing to try and prove their worth by means of speed and agility.

The wind picked up and carried a strange but deliciously intriguing scent my way. Fascinated and entranced by the feeling it gave me I came to a total halt. My thoughts were scattered and strange, echoing too fast for me to really process, much less analyze. I just knew, with utter certainty, that I needed to find the source.

Without warning my spine began to ache, vertebrae by vertebrae spreading a feeling of numbness through me. My fur began to fall from me in large clumps. The shift, it was happening! I was turning back into my human form but the transformation wasn't supposed to occur before sunrise. I became more nervous at that moment than I had been in years.

Something unnatural was occurring and there was nothing I could do to control it. My bones broke and melted and molded, skin shifting uncomfortably as I contorted into my true form. I tried to muffle my cries as the shift continued at a faster pace than I was used to. Bone by bone, muscle by muscle, ligament by ligament I came together.

After taking a moment to recollect myself I ducked behind a row of condensed trees marked by a weather warn red ribbon, and began to search through the dirt. Scattered throughout the woods near my pack's home we hid a series of kits to be used in case of emergency. The ribbon let me know that I was near one of those.

After searching I came across an embroidered pouch that clung to the mud and leaves of its surroundings. From it I retrieved a shapeless loose fitting tee shirt and a pair of draw string sweatpants that sagged on me a brushed against the dirt floor. After taking a moment to make sure my pack was still within hearing distance I grabbed a revolver packed with silver bullets and started off after the unnamed sound and smell, making sure I removed the red ribbon from the tree as it was no longer a storage place for emergency supplies.