Chapter TWO

The Worst Kind of Wonderful

"In real life

wolves will do

anything to avoid

contact with mankind."

-Liam Neeson

Chapter Two~

We ran back through the woods in silence. No one uttered a sound but there was a mutual feeling of completeness amongst the pack. Everyone felt it and received peace from it, everyone but me. My mind was still reeling, still fighting with itself. There is a certain loyalty that you feel towards your pack. An indescribable bond that is almost impossible to break and that bond is only strengthened with the evolution and elevation of one's rank.

Now that I was beta and engaged to be Luna the bond constricted every part of me. But despite the intensity of a pack's bond my mate bond, even after just a few moments of connection, was even stronger. In the legends: thousands of years ago everyone had a mate. Every werewolf had their other half. But as we became more human and less wolf, mates became increasingly rarer. Now the idea has become nothing more than a story, a tale told by our ancestors to nourish the idea of monogamy.

But ever so often that popular belief would be challenged when someone who was particularly in touch with their wolf claimed to have found their soul mate. Now it was my turn to have my belief system disturbed.

When we reached the main pack house a group of aged wolves emerged. Parents and grandparents that worked as the highest form of authority alongside the alpha. They could contradict the rulings of both beta and alpha but one of them alone could not rule the pack, their decisions had to be unanimous.

They greeted us, bringing out our clothes when we shifted and sending off the younger members of the pack to bed. My mother's honey colored wolf had brought sweatpants and my favorite band tee shirt with the name The Black Keys across the chest to change into.

"Mia, you seem upset. What's on your mind sweetie?" Her soothing voice came through the mind link and though I hated it, I knew I had to lie.

"It's nothing, just- it has been a crazy night." I sighed and went behind a wide oak tree to change. Fingers of sunshine stretched over the hills and mountains in the distances and I could feel my body shaking in response to the sun. My bones snapped and my skin broke in uneven cuts. The fur on my body fell of in large clumps and my snout broke and bled as I shifted. I could feel my spine snapping and contorting painfully along with my teeth that were taking shape in my now human-esque mouth.

I breathed heavily as the pain washed over me. It was the hardest to shift in the sunlight but it was the only way unless you're me apparently or your life is thought to be in danger, in which case the body's ability to make an abnormal amount of adrenalin without causing the heart to give out wakes up our wolf or human side.

Now in human form I shivered at the cold wind that held me in it's grip. Sliding on my clothes I stepped out to find my best friend in the entire pack Annabelle. Annabelle and I had been friends since we were pups. Her father had been killed in a rogue attack when we were six but before that our parents had all been best friends.

"Hey Mia, congrats on the promotion!" Belle squealed running up and tackling me in a hug. "Or should I say promotions plural?" Her eyebrows moved suggestively and I couldn't help but let out a shaky laugh. "So are you staying over my house tonight? We could have an exciting evening of studying for that exam Mr. Rowley's giving us after the break."

"As appealing as that sounds I think I'm just going to go home, it's been a long day."

"Are you feeling okay? You never give up a chance to prepare for Rowley's wrath."