Chapter Seventeen

No More Green Zones

"We have extra clothes for you guys," Kitty said as she sat on a crate of guns, resting her crossbow on her knee, "Should be in the boxes near the bar, so go ahead in change. After, we need to talk about that shit you said about the antidote."

Megik nodded obediently, then cast a look at Jared, who sat near the window here the ladder was gathered up. He had been staring down at Silence for the past half hour and refused to budge. He was mildly concerned, but Silence had recovered before and would soon do so again. Jared was just waiting to be there for that time.

The rest obeyed and went to the boxes that were piled up near the bar. Kitty kept her place as she set her crossbow beside her, watching as Megik picked out a black v-neck shirt and matching jeans, looking relieved.

"How long were you in that prison for?" She asked aloud, undoing the clasp of her boot and kicking it off near an old mattress that was obviously her makeshift bed. Megik glanced up as he tore his prison shirt off, dropping it to the floor.

"Long time, princess." He answered cryptically. Kitty rolled her eyes, averting them slowly to Jared, a frown working its way onto her face.

"Is that his son?" She asked as Megik stepped into the jeans, pulling them up to his hips and zipping them before coming over to stand beside her, watching Jared sit there. The sounds of snarling and shrieks echoed through the abandoned building like a terrifying chorus.

"No," Megik replied quietly with a frown, "But that's how it seems, don't it? The man is probably the softest of us."

"That's weak." Kitty accused under her breath, her dark eyes narrowing, but not once leaving the sad man near the window. Megik shrugged, leaning on the crate and making Kitty narrow her eyes at him.

"If he's weak, we must be pussies because he's the one who got us this far in the first place." He responded, making Kitty blink in surprise as she looked back over at Jared. Megik pushed off the crate, turning to see Tyler come out from behind the bar in a fresh pair of cargo pants and an army jacket with a navy tank top underneath.

"It's so good to wear actual clothes again." Tyler sighed in relief, sniffing the army jacket and hugging it tightly to himself. Megik smirked, glancing over at Jericho, who pulled an elbow-length dark brown shirt over his head and a pair of black pocketed pants on before jerking camo boots on.

"I couldn't agree more," Jericho sighed, smoothing the wrinkles out of the pants, "I'm so sick of that cheap cotton shit." Z just snorted, but he had to agree. He enjoyed this attire far more. A pair of tall combat boots to go with a skintight black turtleneck matching his skintight jeans.

"Where'd your friends go?" He asked instead, scanning around for Nero and Kit, who had vanished into the open elevator shaft that seemed to have another rope ladder hanging down inside. Kitty smirked, drumming her black nails on the crate.

"What? Planning to steal my weapons and kill me?" She asked. Z glanced at her drolly, leaning on the bar.

"Bitch, please. I'd just steal your weapons and have you begging for mercy." He answered. Kitty narrowed her eyes, but continued to smirk anyway.

"Yea, tough guy? You think you can take me on? Come get me." She dared, spreading her arms open. Z reached for his pistol, but stopped when Nero came through the elevator shaft, climbing to his feet and glancing at the prison inmates pointedly. Kit came up behind him, bumping into his back before giving the inmates a disgusted look.

"You twins?" Megik asked as Kit approached Kitty, who smiled brightly.

"Yup. Been together since birth. The guy can't get enough of me." She answered, making Kit blush and elbow her. Jericho raised an eyebrow, folding his arms over his chest and leaning on the bar counter.