Chapter Ten

Courting Death

"Silence, get back!" Jared barked, but it was useless and he knew it. The pulsing worry and fear that Silence was signing his death warrent so soon was firing up the buried parental instincts inside him as he watched Silence lower his head, flashing his teeth.

"Don't doubt the kid just yet." Megik warned me, glancing back at Silence, who growled low in his throat at the opposing creature that snarled viciously. Its teeth clicked and snapped, blood oozing across the stretched, pale skin over brittle bones. From this point of view, it looked almost human, if it weren't for the crazy hunger in those dark sunken eyes laced with little red veins.

I said screw off! Silence yelled in his head, snarling and spitting at the creature, who merely howled in refusal before lunging forward, baring its teeth. Silence moved fast and ducked to the side. The men behind him all let out a gasp. Although, Tyler definitely screamed a shrill cry before Silence whirled around and caught the creature by the back of its torn shirt.

He wheeled it off its feet into a wall and lunged at its back, biting down hard. The monster screamed and dug its nails into Silence's arm. Silence squeaked in pain as he felt the jagged edges bite into his skin, leaving small creasant marks embedded in his flesh.

"Get him, Silence!" Jericho yelled. Silence blinked in surprise to flash him a curious look before he whipped back around to duck an attack from the monster before he caught it around the waist and slammed it into the ground.

Silence snarled and bit into its wrist before hissing at the metallic flavor of blood in his mouth. He licked his lips hungrily and buried his teeth deeper as the monster screamed and thrashed. Its nails raked across Silence's arms and face, leaving two long scratches over the teenager's face.

Jared gaped, his eyes wide as he watched Silence wrestle the monster to the ground, ripping viciously into its gaunt form. Megik elbowed him in the ribs and pointed toward the doors that led to the next wing. Jared nodded and gestured for them to hurry along.

We'll catch up. He thought, hoping Megik got the message. The older man gave a nod and began to usher the others toward the door. As soon as the doors closed behind them, Jared moved quickly and grabbed the nearest thing to him, which happened to be a chair set out and heaved it up.

Silence was just kicked back in the gut, letting out a heart-wrenching cry of pain. The monster lunged for his throat, but Jared swung the chair out. The creature shrieked and tumbled over the railing and there was a sickening splat as it hit the ground. Jared breathed hard, immediately rushing to Silence, who was panting and holding his arms around his stomach.

He looked up at Jared with a pained expression, his teeth gritted. Jared grimaced.

"Come here, Silence. Let me carry you the rest of the way." He said, gently touching Silence's shoulders. Silence hissed, but didn't protest as Jared curled his arms around him, lifting him up and turning to bolt through the doors.

He ran down the hallway, hearing the voices of his group. Without a doubt it was Jericho and Z, arguing yet again. Jared rounded a corner and caught sight of them in the infirmary wing. Tyler was leaning over the main counter, fishing around for any medical kits while Frost was digging through the cabinets. Megik was gone, leaving Jericho and Z to stand unattended.

"Just so you know, while we're running for our lives out there, I'm tripping you." Jericho snorted. Z smirked wickedly.

"And I'll grab you and take you down with me. Of course, not before I give you special treatment." He tacked on lightly. Jericho dropped his arms and immediately stepped away from Z with a look of disgust.