1806

"The past half a year has been hectic," I said to Diablo "Kate became ill, Bailey's guards more frequently use guns instead of swords and Asito died! How could this year get any worse?"

"Yeah, well at least you and I are still together," replied Diablo, trying to lighten the mood. I just mumbled in response. Diablo and Kate had a thing going for each other. He went and visited her in her healing room everyday and always spoke about her.

***

For the past couple of days, everything has been quiet. There are no guards on the streets and no daily lectures by the Governor. There are very few citizens walking among the streets and all of them are scared out of their wits.

It was all very strange. Diablo and I walked up to market and to the drinks bar. We needn't say anything for the barkeeper gave us our usual drinks before we arrived. I took a sip as Diablo spoke.

"Lets go to the jewelry store," he said "I want to get something for Kate" I agreed but we waited until we finished our drinks before leaving. Everything came for free these days. Everyone was scared of us but for the last couple of days, stores have been empty and unattended.

Not too much later, we arrived at the jewelry store and were suprised to see that it was attended by an old lady. She shivered at the sight of us and opened the glass case that held the most valuabe jewels in the city.

It seemed that Diablo was in good mood, so he picked out the best looking amulet and paid the lady. She was almost as suprised as I was to see what he had just done! She thanked him again and again as we walked off together towards the town square.

We arrived several minutes later to hear the end of Governor Bailey's speach.

"We have just set fire to what we think is the Thieves Brotherhood's hideout!" he yelled and the crowd cheered. When did this start? I thought to myself, I didn't realise Bailey and the rest of the city were here. And by the look on Diablo's face, neither did he.

Then Bailey's words began to sink in and simultaniously Diablo and I ran as fast as we could towards our Lair. There weren't any obstacles in our way because vertually everyone was in the towns square cheering on Governor Bailey's words and hoping that us Brothers would finally be gone.

I hoped this wasn't true but as we came nearer the well, we saw black smoke billowing out of the well and several surviving Brothers emerging.

"NO!" screamed Diablo and he raced towards the well, I ran after him and tackled him to the ground before he cold jump in.

"It's too late," I yelled at him through his screams and just as I said this, the well collapsed in on itself and slowly black smoke was seeping out of tiny gaps between great rocks and wood.

I released Diablo and stood up, leaving him there to accept his loss. I looked around and saw only nineteen Brothers left. I didn't know any of them except one, Leroy. I walked towards him, his white hair half singed and his once strong posture now weakened.

"How did they find out?" I asked him, crouching down beside him.

"Bailey's wife..." he muttered and then stood upright "she saw a group of us entering this place and immediatly went off and told Bailey"

I cursed under my breath and left Leroy to his own recovery as I walked back over to the sobbing Diablo. He looked such a mess. His pale white skin covered with ash and his once brown hair soaked with mud.

"They're gonna pay" he said anger clearly rising "you'll help me right? You'll help give them what they deserve?"