1803

I was sneaking up behind a woman in an alley way, she had just dropped all of her groceries and was starting to pick them back up. I was right behind her and then i took it.

The apple was soon in my pocket and I was running away. I heard her scream for help and yell thief after me. I turned and saw her pointing at me to a group of men wearing black, hooded robes. They turned my way and started after me.

I continued on forward, dodging citizens and flying through a maze of alleys. Somehow I could not lose the men on my tail. They were quickly gaining on me and I was now in a part of the city that I did not know.

Then I ran into a dead end. I turned around but it was too late. The men were blocking the entrance to the alley and were closing in. I now had time to properly look at them. They each wore matching black robes with red trim and each had a different variety of weapons attached to them. Some with bows, some with swords, tomohawks, knives and all sorts of other unique blades.

"Looks like your stuck," said the closest of the men. He had graying hair and a short beard. "you may aswel give up now."

"I don't think so," I smiled and jumped onto a windowsill on the wall and then leaped to the next. I was zig-zagging up the wall and away from the men. Finally I reached the top and almost fell back over the edge at what I saw.

The robed men were all standing infront of me, weapons drawn.

"Asito?" said the old man and the only robed girl among them walked forward. She held a spiked mace in her hands and before I knew it the spikes had disappeared and the mace was swinging towards my head.

I ducked just in time but completely misjudged the next. She clubbed me in the back of the head and I fell into a world of swirling darkness.

***

I started to regain consciousness sense by sense. The first thing I noticed was that I was lying down, lying on something soft. Then I smelt blood, I recognised it easily because I am always picking fights. I could then hear something. At first, I didn't know what but after a while I realised it was voices. Talking. I opened my eyes and looked around.

I was in some sort of jail cell, with hay on the floor and a small bench to the side. I looked down and noticed that I was lying upon a hay stack. I rubbed my aching head and felt a bandage wrapped tightly onto it.

I stood up and walked over to the metal bars of the cell.

"Hello?" I said and a woman wearing black, red lined robes walked towards me on the other side of the bars.

"He's awake, sir" she said turning around and facing an ajar door.

An old man wearing the same black, red lined robes came strolling out through the door. Memories started to fill my mind and I remembered seeing him in the alley and on the roof-top. Then I remember the woman, Asito, I think her name was.

"Who are you?" I demanded the old man. He chuckled before replying.

"My name is Leroy," he smiled and bent down to look at me. I stared into his fading, light blue eyes. "and what is your name?"

"My name is Paco" I said, still holding the gaze of Leroy. He said nothing for a good minute or two and then smiled. He looked away from me and stood upright again.

"Well Paco, I'm giving you two choices." Began Leroy "Either you join us, or we will personally bring you to your death. You have stolen and we are your only hope of surviving. We have been watching you for a while and the skills you showed us earlier this morning were worthy of allowing you to join. So what do you think?"

"Who exactly will I be joining?" I said, interested. I looked around and saw an apple sitting on the bench next to me.

"The Thieves Brotherhood." said Leroy proudly, he started pacing back and forth as he continued "We are a rebellious group against the governor and his men. We are the only ones allowed to steal and we kill anyone that tries to copy our ways or do what we do without being one of us"

***

After only a little while of talking Leroy had convinced me to join the Thieves Brotherhood and I was due to start my training in three days, on Monday.

They let me out of my cage and allowed me to explore the Thieves Lair as they called it. It was deep underground and the only way to get there was down an abandoned well. This place was massive. In my three days before training I didn't even see half of the Lair. I had a room that was right next the training courtyard and everyday I would watch the trainee's at work knowing that I would join them soon.