A New Beginning, Or a Bitter End?

Miyuki's P.O.V

When I woke up, I was in some sort of dark room. I could see light filtering through the cracks in the door, but when I tried to get up I found I was bound by some sort of heavy chains. After making quite a bit of noise, I decided to wait for whatever it was that captured me to come back.

I had started to count my heartbeats by the time several bolts were slid back and the door creaked open. 

As light filtered into the dark room, I noticed the figure silhouetted in the doorway was of a female, and was prepared to ask for help when she spoke.

"You must be wondering why you're here, non?." I was confused for a few moments, because although she could speak well, her words were heavily overshadowed by a French accent.

"I'm sure you would like to... see... the place you'll be spending your time in, oui?" She must have nodded to someone behind her, because soon enough, the chains were dropping to the floor and something a little more light was replacing them.

"Pardon for the use of restraints, but we can't have you running off now, comprenez vous?" She nodded again, and I was jostled out into the hallway, the chains clanking where they met the floor and each other.

Realizing something with a jolt, I opened my mouth to speak, but instead took in fumes of whatever substance was in the cloth over my mouth. 

"Ah, mademoiselle, I wouldn't struggle if I were you. Our scientists make quite the, how do you say... intéressant  little things, and who knows what might happen if we have to use them!"

Noting my glare, she clicks her tongue and continues, "I'm sure you would want to know the state of your friends too, non? Rest assured, ils sont pris en charge, they are alright."

I wasn't sure what she meant, but considering how serious she sounded at that point, I naturally assumed they were alright, and relaxed slightly.

At this point we had walked for a good two or three minutes, but I couldn't see anything except the brick walls around us, and a plain, wooden door we were slowly approaching.

"Oui! Nous sommes arrivés! Take a deep breath, mademoiselle, because from now on, you will be starting a new life! Plein de suspense, non?" Laughing to herself, the lady nodded and opened the wooden door, just as the person behind me thrust me forward.

With the door slamming behind me, I took in the mass of green walls, as well as the faded footprints in the spongy earth and realized that I was not the first to arrive here.

In front of me lay a path between pear-green ferns, to the side, a cut-off path into ferns of a lighter green, and to the right, a path through slightly-overgrown, dark-green ferns.

I turned around, and at the foot of the wooden door, noticed a silver key. As it didn't fit into the key-slot in the door, I tried unlocking my chains, and they clanked to the earthen floor. Looking around again, I was about to flip the key to decide which path I would take, when I heard a scream coming from the other side of the ferns.

Taking the voice as another person trapped in this place, I decided to follow the sudden sound, through the middle path, because two heads in a maze were probably going to be better than one.

Unless, of course, one of them is a psychopath.

"But there's no way that'll happen." I huffed, shaking off my fear and entering what I hoped wouldn't be too difficult to get out of.