fifty six

6 HOURS TO GO

Before it got dark, Ashton and I hopped on the train that was heading in the direction to our town. Like usual, Ashton tightly clasped our hands together and didn't let mine go. He was fidgety on that ride as well, like he had been the first time. I was still confused as to why he was acting like that, but everytime I looked at him with a hint of concern in my eyes, he'd put his lips on mine and keep them there until my shoulders relaxed.

We had a very good day. After the whole kissing-in-the-rain thing happened, the two of us sprawled out on the grass—our fingers intertwined—looking up at the colored sky. The rain had finally let up all the way, and we just laid there in complete silence, watching as the sky became a giant canvas, pink and blue and yellow colors being painted by the setting sun.

The trip ended around six. When we stepped out of the train station, there were already dozens upon dozens of children in different costumes walking around, knocking on doors and screaming, "Trick or treat!" at whoever had the patience to open their doors.

Ashton laughed and squeezed my hand as he led me back to our building. We were about halfway there when a small child in a cowboy costume walked up and tugged on Ashton's jacket. "Excuse me?" the little boy spoke up, trying to get Ashton's attention. "Um, my sissy left me all alone. I want to go home. Can you walk me?"

The little boy looked at me, at Ashton, then back at me, and then to Ashton again, all while tugging on his jacket. Ashton looked at me and bit his lip, like he was trying to decided whether or not he should help this kid or continue to walk me to our apartment building. I nodded my head, letting him know that it was alright to get this kid where he needed to go.

"Uh, sure," Ashton said, grabbing the kids hand as well. "Where's your house?"

And that's when the two of us showed our Halloween spirit and helped a little boy find his way home. The little boy mentioned something about us not wearing costumes as we walked, so as we marched towards his house—we had to wait a little while to finally find out the address—he said that directing him home was another way to appreciate that holiday, or something like that.

The boy thanked us when we dropped him off. His mother was sitting on the porch, handing out candy to other kids, and she was very confused when we brought her child up to her. Ashton kindly explained everything and the mother smiled at him with gratitude.

We walked away again, hand in hand. The little boy called after us when we were down the driveway. He tugged on Ashton's jacket again. "Here," he said, handing a piece of candy to Ashton. "Thank you for taking me home. This is for the Halloween spirit!"

Ashton and I made it inside the building finally, and I was led to my own apartment. Luckily I decided not to be an idiot, and I pulled my key out of my pocket, ready to unlock the door. "Mom? Kait?" I called as I brought Ashton into my apartment.

No one was home. I checked every room and my family was nowhere in sight. When I informed Ashton on this, his smile grew and he pulled me closer to him. Once again, his lips molded onto mine as we stood there alone in the middle of my living room.

His lips were so soft. I never got tired of kissing them. I wanted to have his lips on mine every chance I could and I was glad that this day was full of those chances. Ashton and I made our way to my room, and once we made it there, the door was slammed shut and I was leaned up against it with Ashton holding onto me. His lips trailed down from my lips, to my jaw line, and down to my neck, where he let them linger for a while before moving them.

My fingers played with the hem of his shirt, and I heard him giggle a little as he tried to catch his breath. He grinned at me when he pulled away, eagerly throwing his shirt off over his head. He reattached our lips, moaning against mine when I touched his warm stomach with my fingertips.

My hands were clasped behind his neck while his rested on the skin of my waist. He had lifted up my shirt only slightly, poking at my sides to get me to react. He took the opportunity to deepen the kiss, which was totally unexpected on his part. I was glad that Ashton was getting more experienced, not that I was much better. Kissing him was becoming my favorite thing. The feeling of his lips on mine was so addicting.

The feeling of Ashton's fingers tugging on my shirt made the two of us break apart from each other. Ashton looked down at me, a small smile forming on his now swollen lips. "Can I?" he asked, messing with the hem of my shirt again. I laughed and nodded and Ashton carefully pulled the shirt over my head.

The moment would've turned out perfect had the shirt not have gotten stuck. My hair got caught on one of the buttons that trailed down the front of my shirt. Ashton's melodic laugh echoed through the quiet room as he tried desperately to unlock my hair from my clothing. My face was red in embarrassment. The shirt was removed from my body, revealing my torso to Ashton. "Wow," he whispered as be examined my body, like he hadn't ever seen me in just my bra before.

Ashton laughed again and led me over to my bed, where we both laid down next to each other and reattached our lips. As we kissed, Ashton played with the strap of my bra, moving it from one side of my shoulder and back where it originally sat.

When we were out of breath, we closed our eyes and laced our fingers together, laying our heads down on my pillow, just taking the opportunity to be there with each other.

"You're so—just wow," Ashton murmured, looking me over again. I just laughed at him and covered his eyes with my pillow, feeling my face reddening. His giggle rang out throughout the entire bedroom, filling my ears and warming my quickly beating heart. Just the sound of his voice made me happy.

"Come here," I said to Ashton, inviting him back for another kiss. He rested his body over me, placing his hands on either side of my head to support his weight. He brought his face closer to mine and brushed our lips together, but he couldn't quite kiss me without giggling a little first.

He brought his lips to mine all the way, working on them once again. I brought my hands up to his chest, in which he moaned because of. My mind only lingered on the fact that the littlest things turned him on. It was funny to me. He brought his lips down to my neck once again, where he nipped and sucked and laughed and kissed and tickled me with his hair.

And everything was perfect. Until only a string of words escaped Ashton's mouth and broke my heart.

"I'm so glad I got to spend my last day with you."