thirty seven

DAY TWENTY FIVE; SIX DAYS TO GO

"Regan!" I heard Anna's voice call from somewhere in the hallway. We hadn't had a conversation in a few days. I was still walking with Ashton when I heard her voice. She appeared right in front of me. The three of us walked together, all in the direction of my locker. Ashton kept squeezing on my hand.

The three of us surrounded my locker. Every time I took a book out of it, Ashton would steal it from my hands and hold it tightly to himself. Anna looked at me, then at him, and then to me again, her eyebrows raised in suspicion.

Somehow I knew she was going to mention something about Ashton and I, like she normally did when we were around each other. She didn't seem to understand the concept of not wanting to talk about boys every time we hung out. I kept arranging the books in my locker.

"So, uh, when did this happen?" Anna asked, pointing at Ashton. He looked a little confused, but he didn't say anything about it. I knew he wasn't very fond of Anna; a, because she freaked out nonstop about boys and girls being more than friends when they were only friends, and b, because she had broken his best friend's heart.

I was still mad at her about it. Michael deserved better than her. "Can we not talk about boys for one second, please?" I slammed my locker closed, causing Ashton and Anna to flinch a little.

My boyfriend leaned in to whisper in my ear, saying, "I'm a man."

I looked at him, unamused. He was just trying to get me to lighten up a bit, and I knew that, because even he could see that my face was becoming red in anger. It wasn't even my problem, it was Michael's, but I was so fed up with the way she treated guys. Calum was probably devastated; it looked like he really liked her. Poor him. Boys were idiots.

Ashton shuffled his feet and leaned up against my locker, watching the scene unfold in front of him. "Well, I just wanted to know when you started dating. I saw you holding hands. I knew this would happen and—"

"What happened to 'I think Calum is the one'? Or 'I really, really like him'?" I asked Anna, using an extra girly voice just to prove to her that I was annoyed.

She seemed to understand. Anna's shoulders slumped a little. A frown etched on her face. Maybe she thought she was cute, but I called it pathetic. I knew she wasn't good with boys, but cheating on them? That was low, even for her.

"Michael told you?"

"Well you didn't!"

Ashton coughed awkwardly. He mumbled something about going to find Michael, and shuffled away, still carrying my books in his hands. I'd get them from him during first hour.

"Regan, I don't see why you're getting so mad. I—"

"You cheated, Anna! Michael and Calum were just innocent guys that wanted to love you, and you cheated on both of them. What's wrong with you?" I said loudly. Anna looked around, a little hesitant, at everyone who was beginning to watch this little episode.

She took me by the arm and pulled me off in a different direction. A few seconds later, the both of us were standing in a supply closet, scowling at each other. It was all her fault. If she could've been faithful, we wouldn't have a problem, but she was at it again, ruining boy's lives. It was terrible. She had to know that she was wrong for it.

"Look, Regan. You don't know anything about this, okay? Just please, stop interrogating me," Anna said, removing her foot from a mop bucket. She wiped her forehead with the back of her right hand.

I was so beyond mad at her, but she was sort of right: it wasn't my fight. But I just couldn't ignore it. She was breaking Michael's heart. He told me every feeling he had towards her, and it hurt me seeing him so upset. We weren't super close friends, but he trusted me enough to tell me, so I figured we were something, and seeing my something friend was like Ashton confessing to me that he didn't really like himself; painful.