Prologue

The wide-eyed kits looked around in awe.

"Isn't this place amazing!" squeaked the grey she-kit.

"Yay! You're here!" the smallest of the five pranced merrily towards his littermates. "I've been waiting for you guys!"

"Everything's so... bright." remarked a tabby tom.

"Where are we?" asked the tortoiseshell.

"It's called StarClan!" the smallest replied.

"But where's Mom?" asked the oldest-- and last to arrive in StarClan. "She'll miss us."

"You're mother is back with ThunderClan," answered a dark ginger tom, who up until now had been watching silently from the shadows.

"Can we go back?" asked the oldest, his coat was a vivid ginger color.

"I'm sorry, you cannot," he said.

"Why not?" asked the tabby.

"Because, we're dead," the grey kit said dejectedly.

"Don't worry," comforted the smallest. "Dad will take care of us."

The tortoiseshell looked up at the tom curiously. "You're our dad?"

The tom nodded, "That's right. My name is Flametail."

"Names?" asked the tortoiseshell. "Can we have those too?"

"Of course," replied Flametail. He looked upon his kits with pride. "How about Duskkit," he leaned over and touched his daughter's tiny head with his nose, "Lionkit," he touched his nose to the tabby's head, "Tawnykit," the grey kit, "Rowankit," the oldest, "and Cloudkit," the smallest.

Five pairs of bright blue eyes shined with excitement, though Flametail could still see the sadness in them. "Do you want to play a game?" he asked.

"What kind of game?" asked Lionkit.

"A special one, follow me," Flametail walked slowly, but the kits still had to run to keep up. When they reached what appeared to be an endless lake, Flametail came to a halt and crouched down over the water. "Look at this."

Rowankit gasped. "It's Mom!" Instead of water, the lake was looking down onto the clans territories.

"She's so sad," said Lionkit.

"That's right," Flametail said. "But we're going to cheer her up."

"How?" asked Tawnkit.

"Look over there," Flametail pointed towards the woods beyond ThunderClan territory. "Do you see that rouge over there? She had her first kit shortly after you five were born, but something went wrong."

"Can we help her?" asked Cloudkit.

Flametail shook his head, "There's nothing we can do, nothing anyone can do."

"Will she join us in StarClan?" asked Duskkit.

"No, rouges walk among different stars," Flametail explained. "However, one kit still survives."

"How can he live without a mother?" asked Duskkit.

"He won't," Flametail said. "Your mother lost her kits, and this kit lost his mother," he explained, waiting for them to catch on. "We're going to lead your mother to this kit."

"You want her to replace us?" Rowankit asked.

"No," Flametail said quickly, "but she'll never be able to have you either."

Rowankit looked unconvinced.

Flametail lowered his head so he could look his son straight in the eyes; however, the kits are so small that Flametail's muzzle was nearly touching the ground.