Starless

Sunheart scratched franticly at the side of the small wire cage. A small part of her knew that even if she did find a way out of the cage, she would never be able to claw her way out of the belly of the monster.

"Don't even bother; there's no way out," grumbled a voice below her. Sunheart jumped in surprise. Now that her eyes were use to the dark, she realized she wasn't alone. The entire monster was filled with other cages identical to hers. Every single one of them had a cat trapped inside.

"There has to be a way out!" Sunheart cried.

A she-cat sneered, "When you find it, tell me. I'll be busy waiting for it to rust open."

The kittypet next to her rolled his eyes. "Ignore them; they're just trying to scare you. You have nothing to worry about. Young cats like you are always adopted first. I'm Hutch."

"Sunheart," Sunheart wondered if the walls in the other cages were closing in too.

"Sunheart," Hutch mewed, "That sounds like a warrior name."

Sunheart looked at him in surprise, "It is, how do you know about warrior names?"

Hutch ignored her question, "What clan are you from?"

"I'm, er, not in a clan," Sunheart admitted, "but my dad's clanborn. He was from ShadowClan!"

"Was?"

Sunheart was starting to get irritated, "He's in StarClan now," she snapped.

"I'm sorry," Hutch apologized, "I didn't know."

Sunheart curled up in the back of the cage with her back to Hutch. His sincerity was making her feel guilty for losing her temper. "It's ok, I never knew him. All I know is that he was born in ShadowClan, but for some reason he ran away as a kit. That's all Mom told me. She doesn't like talking about him. She never really got over his death. She'd never admit it, but we could see it in her eyes..." Sunheart's voice trailed off. Hutch was silent until the monster stopped growling.

"We're here," he stated.

"What?" Sunheart's heart was pounding. "Where's here? What's going on?"

The back of the monster opened and light flooded through.

A twoleg reached in and grabbed Sunheart's cage in one paw, and Hutch's in the other. Sunheart unsheathed her claws and hissed.

"Calm down," said Hutch, "if you want to get out, do exactly as I say."

Sunheart's pelt prickled, "And if I don't?"

Hutch shrugged, "Best case scenario, they send you to the vet, then give you to a twoleg who will lock you in their nest and never let you out."

"Listen to him, he's your only hope."

Sunheart spun around, but no one was there. "Fine," she gave in, "What do I have to do?"

"Be nice to the twolegs," Hutch said.

The twoleg carried them into a strange twoleg nest. Two twolegs were argueing. Sunheart could smell a lot of other animals, especially dogs.

"Flatten your fur," Hutch commanded.

Sunheart complied, she hadn't realized her fur was standing on end.

One of the twolegs walked towards them and pointed at Hutch.

"That's my twoleg!" Hutch purred excitedly, "I've got an idea, pretend to be excited to see him too."

Hutch purred and mewed sweetly, Sunheart mimicked his actions.

The twoleg set down the cages and opened Hutch's. Hutch sprinted to his twoleg and brushed his head along the twoleg's legs. The twolegs reached down and ran his paw along Hutch's back. Hutch walked back to Sunheart and sat down in front of the cage.