Chapter 2

"I don't know when I'll be back, but I will call every hour to make sure you're at home."

"Okay," I answer as I open the door for my mom.

"Okay, I love you."

"Yeah whatever," I roll my eyes and close the door.

I walk over to the phone machine and sit down, holding it on my lap. I grab my cell and connect them, so whatever calls go to the home phone, will be received on my cell. I'm so smart.

I make my way to my car and drive off to the bar. No, I'm not an alcoholic, it's my first time going to the bar.

I park my vehicle in the parking lot and make my way to the loud bar.

Music blasts from the speakers, making it vibrate. The smell of alcohol and cigarets makes me want to vomit as I make my way to the bar stools.

"I'll have a cooler please," I ask, giving the man some money. He comes back a few seconds later and gives me the money and a drink.

"It's on the house," he smiles, then returns to his job.

I look around, watching as bodies mingle together into one big crowd. Couples, friends, and others dance and have fun.

My eye trails off to a boy, not much older than me, sitting alone, staring at his iPhone which rests on the table face up. His green eyes look sad, and he runs his hands nervously through his hair.

The boy looks up at me, making me jump and quickly look away. Oh god please don't come over here.

I drink my cooler and watch the boy from the corner of my eye. He continues to stare at me for a few moments before looking back down at his phone and sips his beer.

"Well well, aren't you a looker," says a raspy voice from beside me.

I move a seat over, giving the old man a hint.

"Oh come on love, don't be like that."

"Please leave me alone," I glare, almost choking at the scent of alcohol and smoke.

"You're coming with me," the man growls and grabs my wrist.

"Let me go!" I yell, but the music is too loud for people to hear.

The man drags me outside, to the back alley.

"I don't like it when young girls like you give me attitude," he slurs, his lips inches from my jaw.

"Please let me go," I cry, struggling to get free.

"Shhhh, it'll only take a second," he whispers and continues to move his lips to my neck.

"Hey!" Someone calls, making both me and the man jump. "Let her go!"

As the mystery man approaches, I notice that it's the green eyed boy.

"What are you going to do?" the man laughs, tightening his grip on my wrist. I let out a cry of pain.

"I'll show you what I'll do if you don't let the girl go," the boy growls, his accent deep with anger.

The man, glaring down at me, then back at the boy, still doesn't let me go. That's when I step on his foot, making the man let go of me.

"Run! Run!" says the boy. I do as he says, hiding around a corner. I peek around, watching as the boy punches the man, who tries grabbing at him.

"If you touch her again I swear I will hunt you down and kill you," the boy says, pointing a finger at him before walking away, leaving the man gasping and bloody on the ground. "I called the police by the way," the boy calls over his shoulder before walking to to me.

He has a bruised cheekbone, and a cut on his lip. "Are you okay?" he gasps, resting his hands on my shoulders.

"Yeah, just a little shaky..."

"Did he...?"

"No! No, you got there before he could...thank you, by the way."

"You're welcome. Are you sure you're okay? Do you need to go to the hospital?"

"No! I'm fine...I could say a little less about your face though..." I lift my hand and gently touch his bruise. He winces. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay, I'll just ice it..."

We continue to stand there when my phone rings. I quickly answer it. "Hi mom...yes...I'm home...I told you...mhm....bye."

"I'm Nathan by the way," he smiles once I hang up.

"Hi, I'm June."

"Do you need me to call you a cab?"

"No I didn't even finish my first drink, I can drive."

"You sure? You're still shaking."

"Really, I'm okay...but do you need a ride home? Or to the hospital? I think you need stitches..."

I hold my sleeve up to his lip, stopping the blood that continues to dribble down like a faucet.

"Yeah, if you don't mind...don't worry, I won't kidnap you either," Nathan smirks.

I roll my eyes and lead him to my car, helping him in the passenger seat before walking around and climbing in the drivers seat.

"So..." I awkwardly break the silence as I reach the straight freeway. I quickly glance over at Nathan, who's holding a Kleenex to his lip. "Can I ask you something?"

"Anything."

God, that British accent of his never gets old. American accents are so boring.

"Why did you care enough to help me? I mean, I'm sure many people saw that man grab me and pull me out, yet you cared enough to help me..."

Nathan hesitates, a crease forming between his brow. "I...uh...I don't know. I just saw him pull you and...the look in your eyes really got to me."

"What look?"

"The look where it looks like you saw a ghost or something...but at the same time, the look as if you knew what was going to happen next..."

I swallow the lump in my throat...no one has ever saw through that look before.

I notice that Nathan is waiting for an answer. "Well, when an old man pulls a 19 year old girl from the bar, you kinda know what's going to happen next..."

"You're 19?"

"Yes, why?"

"Wow...I thought you were older...how did you get into the bar?"

I stare ahead, hoping to god that he's not a cop.

"You're kind of a badass aren't you?"

"What?" I gasp, the corners of my mouth turning into a smile.

"You! You're so badass. With your fake ID and your self-defense moves," Nathan laughs, doing a little karate move in the air.

"You're not exactly and 'old man' you know...how old are you?"

"21...just turned 21 actually...I was supposed to celebrate my birthday tonight with my, uh, girlfriend...but that kind of fell through."

My heart kinda sank at the word 'girlfriend', then again, he's really cute so that's probably why.

"Can I ask what happened?"

"Let's just say...my girlfriend is famous."

I snort, but quickly shut up as I realize Nathan is serious.

"Who?"

"Ariana Grande?" he answers, although it sounds like a question.

"So you're Nathan Sykes then. Holy shit."

"What?"

I look over at Nathan, who's staring at me like I'm some sort of psychopath. I want to slap myself in the face for not recognizing him.

"Oh my god I'm an idiot. How did I not recognize you!"

"Again...what?"

I shake my head, a sad smile forming on my lips. "Nevermind. Let's get your famous ass to the hospital."