Dear Kate

“E-mails or letters?” Zayn asked as they played twenty questions to avoid the awkward tension that was bound to appear when two people barely knew each other.

“Letters, definitely letters.” Kate said wrapping her fingers on her coffee mug.  “It’s so much more personal and,” Kate stopped biting her lip in embarrassment.

“And?” Zayn prodded amused.

“It’s just so much more romantic, not always like love, but it gives a correspondence more of that person’s heart and soul than any email or text could.” Kate looked up her eyes connecting with Zayn’s. 

“I totally understand, and you’re right.,” Zayn agreed, before looking away turning to look out the window for a brief pause.

Kate looked up nervously over her mocha, to glance up at her seat mate again, she blushed ducking her head back down when she found that he was looking at her. 

“Kate,”

Kate looked up at him, her hazel eyes at the moment appeared almost gold as the sun was beginning to set behind her. 

“How did you get into photography?”

A soft smile appeared on her lips. “My dad,” she said, her eyes brimming with an undisguised happiness. “My dad’s a photographer. He used to take me and my brother with him on days that my mom wanted a little bit of time to herself.” Kate cocked her head biting her lip. “I thought he always looked so cool you know? All parents when we’re little always seem so cool.” Kate bit her bottom lip.

Zayn nodded completely understanding her. 

“After a few times, I got tired of just wanting to watch him, I wanted to join in. Take pictures and capture the moments of life my dad always talked about. So when I turned seven, my dad bought me my first Polaroid. Oh my gosh, I went a bit crazy, I know I sent my mother up the wall. I would not stop taking pictures, and she always seemed to be my victim.” Kate curled her fingers to her lip, giving Zayn a guilty smile.  “And they were pretty awful too,” Kate shrugged innocently.

Zayn threw his head back laughing.  “Apparently you must’ve gotten better if you were offered an internship.” He grinned.

Kate nodded happily, “Thankfully.”

Zayn was about to ask another question but his phone started to ring. “Um just give me a minute.”

Kate nodded taking another sip of her coffee.

~~~

Zayn wanted to shake his head as he got off the phone with Liam.  “I have to go.”

Kate blinked, then stood up abruptly, her purse fell over.  Kate winced as she sighed. 

“Here let me,” Zayn bent down to help her gather her things back into her bag. He eyed the rather large camera before handing it back to her. As soon as the two managed to gather everything back in Kate’s bag,  “The boys and I have to go to New York and collect Harry.” Zayn said running his hand through his hair. 

Kate cocked her head looking at him confused. 

“He followed Hope to New York without telling any of us.” Zayn said half amused, half exasperated.

“Hope?”

“Yeah, the girl you met at the Awards,”

Kate’s eyes lit in recognition.  “Hope, I remember her now! Sorry, how could I forget?” Kate tapped her head in embarrassment.

Zayn chuckled.  “Yeah, its no big deal.”

“Hope was the most friendly person there, how could I forget." Kate chastised herself. "Then I guess, its goodbye?”