Knowing When to Let Go

Mason rubbed his temple slowly as once more Kate's phone went off.   A call from someone just as he had finished making dinner for them.  Their two month anniversary, Jake had said it was a cause to celebrate because well the guy couldn't keep a relationship past one month, a total commitment phobe. 

Kate mouthed sorry at him as she gave him an apologetic look.  "Hello?" She said hesitantly before smiling at Mason who just sat opposite of her and placed a large plate on the mat in the middle of the table.  He gave her a brief half smile as he leant his elbows on the table, waiting to see what it would be now. 

"Yes," Harry answered the phone before looking up and mouthing to Niall, Louis, and Zayn, what now? 

Niall made a strange hand gesture that Harry just eyed before giving him a look.  He knew he owed Zayn so much for taking his place to appear on the comedy show when he had gotten sick, but this was ridiculous.  Kate had to be getting suspicious at some point and he honestly had no idea what to say! He barely knew the girl. 

"Harry Styles?" Kate asked as her brows furrowed.  Well this was a first.  Hearing the name of a member of One Direction, Mason's smile fell.  First it had been Zayn himself, then the stripes wearing one, then it had been the blonde one who wanted step by step directions to make cookies, then it had been one of Zayn Malik's little sisters needing homework help when they had bunkered down to study for the day, just the two of them, and now...

"Yes, this is he..." Harry trailed.

"Who the heck still talks like that?" Louis muttered beside Zayn who just groaned as Harry made a face, still having no idea how he got warped into doing this.  Why  couldn't Zayn just get up the courage and tell Kate the truth? He told Hope the truth ages ago... even though it didn't accomplish as much as he wished it had, he sure as hell was getting to Hope. 

Kate bit her lip as Mason got up to get himself a drink.  "Is there a reason...?"

"Erm. " Harry screwed his lips before glancing up at his mates once more. 

"Just make up something!" Niall whispered harshly. 

"This is ridiculous," Harry mouthed once more before he leaned back as he listened to the phone. 

"Kate, I have to," Mason got up suddenly.

"Mason?" Kate asked as she put the phone down.

 "I have to go... for a drive." Mason held up his hand to stop her from saying anymore.

"Mason!" Kate yelled this time. 

"Just need some time to think right now." Mason sighed as he took out his keys. 

Sitting there in shock, Kate could do nothing but stare at the door. "I have to go." She finally said into the phone before hanging up to go after her boyfriend. 

However by the time she ran out of her apartment, from the second floor, she could see the taillights of Mason's car.  Closing her eyes in a grimace, "You're such an idiot." She said to herself as she knew that it wasn't right to do that to Mason almost every time they tried to do something together. Gripping onto the rail, Kate hung her head. But even though she said that she was letting her feelings for Zayn Malik go, it seemed that she was only lying to herself as she was still hanging onto ever last shred of him she could. 

Five minutes later, Kate was still in the same position because she couldn't help but wallow slightly in her own pathetic thoughts.  Why couldn't she let Zayn Malik go?

~~~

Harry stared at his phone, ignoring his bandmates around him asking him what happened. 

"I don't know," Harry said as he looked up sheepishly.