Chapter 5

Usually I look forward to lunch because it's when I get to see Matt in between classes. But today I just couldn't face him after this morning. As soon as I saw him walking into the cafeteria, it felt like I had been kicked in the stomach knowing he had choose to sleep with my worst enemy. I kept my head down when he sat at our table.

"Hey, have you guys met the new girl?" Bailey asks Matt and Tayvon.

Tayvon shakes his head. "No, I haven't. Who is she?" He bites into his hamburger.

Bailey nods over in the direction of Anna who was biting into her salad sandwich where she sat alone at a table that was four tables down from ours. "Her name is Anna. She is the one with the magenta pink hair."

"Nice hair."

"She is my neighbour," I say. "I haven't introduced myself to her yet."

"Wow, that's cool," Bailey says.

"Oh crap." Matt suddenly says. "The witch is coming."

We look in the direction where Samantha had just walked into the cafeteria with her friends. Matt quickly hid underneath the table before she could see him. I have no idea if she has, but she walks over to us anyway.

I feel the blood boil in my veins, wanting to scream at her for sleeping with the guy she knows I deeply care about. Even if I don't tell him how I felt, she had no right to kick me down like she did. But then again, should I even be angry with her? Or should I be mad at myself for not telling Matt sooner about how I felt? I mean, maybe if I had, then maybe he would have stand his ground and turn Samantha away.

I can barely look at her as she stands at the table between Tayvon and Bailey without feeling the anger.

"Have any of you losers seen Matthew?" she asks us.

"We have names, you know," Bailey says. "And if you don't say our names then we won't tell you where Matt is."

Samantha places a hand on her hip as she rolls her eyes. "Whatever. Look, tell Matthew I'm looking for him."

She steps away from us without saying anything else. Matt remained underneath the table for most of lunch, afraid to come out in case Samantha spotted him. With a few minutes left for the bell to ring, Tayvon and Matt decided to leave the cafeteria. They wanted to head to the boys locker room to get ready for PE. I knew Matt was only heading there early to escape Samantha. Usually he is hanging around and flirting with girls rather than heading to class.

And as much as I was mad at him, my heart sank as he walked away.

Once the bell does ring for the third period, my friends and I head to the girls locker room to change into our PE uniform. Abby sits on the bench in the room while Bailey and I changed, claiming she wasn't feeling too well to play.

"Are you sure you can't play PE?" Bailey asks as she slips on her maroon shorts.

Abby nods her head, disappointed since she actually enjoyed PE. She puts a hand over her stomach. "I could play, but I don't feel too well."

"You don't look like you're unwell," Samantha says as she walked over to us with her friends.

Abby leans forward, groaning in agony. "Yes, I am, okay? I have very bad period pain."

"Abby, you know you don't need to explain yourself to Samantha," Bailey tells her. "She doesn't know what you're feeling. Only you do."

Abby nods.

"Why don't you see if you can lie down in the sick bay, Abby?" I suggested. "It might help with the cramp."

Abby opens her mouth to answer me when Samantha interrupts.