Chapter 13

"No way! He kissed you?" Bailey squeals with delight.

Bailey, Abby and I were alone in the backyard at Bailey's home where we were having a gathering for her birthday dinner. Matt and Tayvon hadn't arrived yet, so I thought in the mean time I would fill my friends in about mine and Matt's kiss. I wanted Emma to be here to hear too, but Bailey said she was out on the beach and will join the party later. Although, I think Bailey was the only person listening to me as Abby daydreamed about something.

"Tell us everything, and don't leave out any details," Bailey continues. "How was the kiss?"

I smile brightly, remembering every detail of the kiss, wishing it went on longer. I tell Bailey everything, even if Abby wasn't completely with us.

"Aw, Hailey, I'm so happy for you." Bailey hugs me. She then turns to Abby who is eating a handful of potato chips. "Hey, Abby, is everything alright?"

Abby doesn't seem to hear.

Bailey waves hand in front of her. "Hello, earth to Abby."

Abby snaps out of her daydream, turning to look at her. "Sorry, what?"

"Is everything okay? You seem to be somewhere in out of space."

"I was? I'm sorry. What were we talking about?"

"We were talking about how Matt kissed me this afternoon," I reply with a smile.

Abby smiles. "Oh my gosh, really? Hailey, that's great!"

"Is everything alright, Abby?" Bailey wanted to know.

Abby nods. "Of course it is. Why do you ask?" She reaches over for more chips.

"Well, you completely disappeared into space while Hailey and I were talking."

"Oh. Sorry. I was just daydreaming."

"Are you sure you're alright, Abby? I mean, you disappeared at lunch, and then both you and Anna didn't show up to PE."

"Sorry. I should have text one of you. I wasn't feeling well so Anna drove me home."

"That's alright. Are you feeling better now?"

Abby smiles. "Much better."

Matt enters the backyard, wishing Bailey a happy birthday as he gave her hug. None of us has given her a present, mainly because she didn't want anything besides wanting a get together for a birthday dinner with her friends.

"Is Tayvon here yet?" Bailey asks Matt.

He shrugs. "I'm not sure. I haven't seen him. I tried to call him earlier, but he wouldn't answer the phone." He takes a seat beside me.

"Is everything alright with him?" Abby asks.

Matt shrugs. "I don't know. His dad spoke to him about something after practice. He wasn't very happy."

Bailey leaves us to give Tayvon a call. The rest of us sit there in silence, waiting for her to return. I make no eye contact with Matt as he gets up and starts piling his plate with food. Abby does the same.

I stare at the food. The smell of beef kebabs, chicken wings and other types of food made me taste the food on the top of my tongue. It was so tempting to reach out and grab something, but I couldn't. My friend won't notice me not eating, will they?

Bailey returns. "I can't get a hold of him. I called three times, and he still won't answer."

"It's alright, Bailey," I tell her. "I'm sure he will show up soon."