Chapter 10

I was glad to be home by the afternoon. I disappear to my room, wanting the rest, hoping to catch on the sleep I missed at the hospital. I was still drowsy from the morphine. Although with Matt on my mind, I wasn't sure if I will get any sleep at all.

Time past and I didn't know I had fallen asleep until Mom knocks on the door, letting me know Matt was downstairs. I sit up quickly, forgetting about my sore wrist. I wince, telling mom I will be down in a second.

I follow her out, surprised Matt and came to visit me. The thought of facing him after avoiding him for two days terrified me.

As I walk down the stairs, my heart leaped in my chest when my eyes lay on Matt for the first time since I saw him after the kiss. He stood at the door talking with my brothers. Mom calls them to come into the kitchen to give us some privacy.

"My brothers weren't giving you a hard time were they?" I ask him once we were alone. I continue to stand on the bottom step rather than walking over to me, after of doing something.

Matt shakes his head. "No, they weren't giving me a hard time. They just wanted to know who I was."

I give him a shy smile. "Thanks for coming to visit."

Matt returns the smile. "I wanted to call you the other day to see how you were, but I was unsure if I should have."

I turn to look to see if my mother or brothers weren't nearby, listening on us. I step off the stairs and walk over to Matt, grabbing his arm, leading him outside on the front porch and close the door. I lean up against the door frame with my good hand still on the knob in case I had to make a quick getaway.

"You could have called," I tell him. "I was hoping you would."

"I know I should have, and I'm sorry if I didn't."

"It's okay, Matt. I understand if you didn't want to talk to me." I glance at the ground. I let go of the knob, and stand there with my good arm at my side. "You must hate me."

"Hate you? Why would I hate you, Hailey? You're my friend."

I chew my bottom lip without making any eye contact with him. My heart sank deep into my chest when he said the word "friend". How could I have been so damn stupid to kiss him when it was clear he only saw me as a friend and nothing more? "I kissed you. I kissed you without thinking."

Matt places his hand under my chin, gently lifting my head so I was now facing him. "I don't hate you because of that."

"So you aren't mad at me?"

Matt shakes his head, letting go of my chin. "No, I'm not mad at you. I can't help it if I'm so good looking and girls find me irresistible."

A smile crosses my face. "Sorry for avoiding you for the past two days. I should have spoken to you about it. I just felt really stupid for kissing you."

"Don't feel stupid, Hailey, because you aren't. Listen, do you want to go out and do something? We can go and get something to eat."

"Thanks for the offer, Matt, but I'm not hungry."

"Oh. Well, maybe we could do something together still."

"I would like that. Maybe another time we can go out for dinner."

"Yeah, of course. I can understand how you must be feeling."

I tell him to wait on the porch while I went back inside to notify Mom where I was going. She was unsure about me leaving the house after returning home from the hospital, but I told her I will be okay. She kisses my cheek, and tells me to have a good time.

Matt and I get into his car, deciding to spend the rest of the afternoon at the beach. By the time we get there, the sun starting to set and the sea breeze brought the temperature down from the humid day. Families who had been there for the day were starting to clear the bench. Matt and I take off our shoes and walk along the shoreline, where the sand was still warm.

"So how is your wrist?" Matt asks.

"It's still a bit sore, but not as much," I tell him.

"So I guess you won't be cheering for the game final."

I shake my head. I hadn't spoken to Mrs O'Hare about it, but I knew I wasn't going to be allowed to cheer, which will make Samantha happy. "No. I feel so stupid for what I did."

"Hey, you aren't stupid for what you did. It was just an accident that could easily happen to anybody. Like what happened to Bobby Blue the other day when he twisted his ankle during the game."

"How is he doing by the way?"

"He is good. It's just a sprain and he is expected to play in the final."

"That's good to hear."

"Are you excited about the game? I still can't believe it will be our final game before we go off to college."

"Yeah, I know. I was looking forward to it, but now I don't know."

Matt stops, placing his hand on my shoulder. "Hey, don't let your broken wrist get you down. You can still come and cheer from the bleachers."

"That won't be the same as it is cheering for you – I mean the team – from the field."

"I guess you're right. Maybe Mrs O'Hare could work out something for you. Anyway, I really need someone to cheer me on and then compliment me on my muscles later."

I smile at is joke. "Yeah, I guess you're right."

"Of course I'm right, Hailey. Don't put yourself down because you did something stupid. I know that Samantha often teases you about being a klutz. I actually like you being a klutz."

I take Matt's compliment by surprise. Does he really mean that? "Really?"

I nod. "I do. It's part of your personality and I don't think I could ever imagine you without being a klutz."

I smile, glad Matt liked me the way I am and not the way Samantha said he wouldn't.

"Are you sure you don't want to get anything to eat?" Mattasks me. "I'm starving. I skipped lunch today."

"I still don't feel hungry, but if you want to get something then let's go. Maybe I will eat something light."

Matt smiles, and takes my hand. Together we walk towards the boardwalk to find something to eat.